• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:59 AM

They specialize in high-quality generic medications with savings of up to 80% off of the average Mexican price with no BS or risk of fraud. It will help to know the actual name of the active substance. In Spanish, the substance name is very similar to that in English. e.g. Amoxicilin = Amoxicilina Penicilin = Penicilina Carbamazapine = Carbamazapina Minoxidil = Minoxidil

Almost every neighborhood has a location.

#2 spacecowboy

spacecowboy
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (libertythor @ May 3 2007, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They specialize in high-quality generic medications with savings of up to 80% off of the average Mexican price with no BS or risk of fraud. It will help to know the actual name of the active substance. In Spanish, the substance name is very similar to that in English. e.g. Amoxicilin = Amoxicilina Penicilin = Penicilina Carbamazapine = Carbamazapina Minoxidil = Minoxidil

Ive used the one in Playas. Also received a good medical consult there (upstairs). They dont carry Modiodal tho (provigil). Anyone know where i can buy that and not get ripped off?

#3 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 822 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

QUOTE (spacecowboy @ Jan 26 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive used the one in Playas. Also received a good medical consult there (upstairs). They dont carry Modiodal tho (provigil). Anyone know where i can buy that and not get ripped off?

I don't buy drugs much so i've never been to one... but my favorite part about them is the fat dancing pharmacist. I love that guy.

http://www.farmacias...milares.com.mx/

"YO heart BC"

#4 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (spacecowboy @ Jan 26 2010, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As a failsafe, I like Farmacias Gusher. There are locations at Plaza Rio, Plaza Americana Otay, and on Blvd Aguacaliente between 5 y 10 and Hipodromo. They carry just about anything.
[size=12]

#5 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

I go to any farmacias really. Obviously i check for prices too. DOes not mater if they are generic or O.G. As long as the ingredients are the same, i am game.

But i think we can all agree that the farmacias here in TJ/Mexico are better than the ones in the U.S. In the U.S. what do we have? Walgreens, Longs Drugs, Save-on, but what do you need? A prescription....

#6 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Buen Amigo @ Sep 8 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I go to any farmacias really. Obviously i check for prices too. DOes not mater if they are generic or O.G. As long as the ingredients are the same, i am game.

But i think we can all agree that the farmacias here in TJ/Mexico are better than the ones in the U.S. In the U.S. what do we have? Walgreens, Longs Drugs, Save-on, but what do you need? A prescription....

Plus many often carry a lot of the natural herbal stuff that works too, and what is snake oil is literally labeled as snake oil.
[size=12]

#7 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

TRUE THAT

#8 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 08:46 PM

I don't know about "natural" remedies since some can damage kidneys. I know Melatonin is banned in Europe... and I think Mexico too has banned that since they tend to follow European pharmaceutical standards.

Either way, I know when I have an infection and it just annoys the hell out of me I gotta see a doctor first then go to the pharmacy to pay outrageous prices. Last ear infection, I was off to Tijuana.

#9 ICClear

ICClear
  • Advanced Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (libertythor @ May 4 2007, 02:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When it comes to Farmacias Similares I would say "proceed with caution", I go there for antibiotics and other harmless medications but blood pressure medication didn't seem to work as well and I've heard other stories. Also would not use the doctor consult there, no offense to the doctors but my choices are for simple things the pharmacist at any reputable drug store will do, for more complex matters a family doctor, I find that the consult is not that expensive and then I shop around for prices on the medication.

#10 bajashrink

bajashrink

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Now that a physician Rx is required in Mexico for antibiotics, Farmacias Similares is the most logical since most of them do have a physician on staff and the consultation only costs 30 pesos.

Gusher is a "farmacia de control" that can fill prescriptions for controlled medications like psychotropics, codine, etc. However, their prices for over-the-counter meds aren't that great, probably because they're open 24/7 with a large staff, and again, carry the prescription-only medications.

There is a medication that I take on a semi-regular basis that I used to buy at Gusher until they raised the price to 55 pesos, and that's only if you use the 26% off discount card. The exact same brand/quantity/dosis of that medication is available at Comercial Mexicana and Wal-Mart for 39 pesos.

#11 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 368 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

That "physician" you speak of, would he be able to subscribe narcotics? I don't want Mexico to take a step backwards.

Back then, it was easier to order valium and I applaud Mexico for taking the initiative to make it much harder and require a doctor's signature.

#12 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Klort @ Sep 10 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That "physician" you speak of, would he be able to subscribe narcotics? I don't want Mexico to take a step backwards.

Back then, it was easier to order valium and I applaud Mexico for taking the initiative to make it much harder and require a doctor's signature.

I would imagine so, but from what I hear there are more controls on that now. Often if the narcotic isn't a famous one, they will still often sell it over the counter. Plenty of Americans still come down for Tramadol. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol

[size=12]

#13 bajashrink

bajashrink

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Klort @ Sep 11 2010, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than antibitotics, I don't believe any of the Farmacias Similares carry controlled meds. There might be some pharmacies in the tourist zones that sell prescription-only meds over-the-counter if they're sure there aren't any undercover inspectors lurking about.

Being that the misuse of antibiotics can result in the creation of resistant strains of bacteria, I don't have a problem with requiring a prescription for them. But adults should have the right to any other med without a prescription. At least in Mexico you can still obtain most meds over-the-counter compared to the U.S. Prescription laws are mainly a physican lobby racket for making more $$$ in the name of nanny statist consumer protectionism.

#14 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (bajashrink @ Sep 10 2010, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being that the misuse of antibiotics can result in the creation of resistant strains of bacteria, I don't have a problem with requiring a prescription for them. But adults should have the right to any other med without a prescription. At least in Mexico you can still obtain most meds over-the-counter compared to the U.S. Prescription laws are mainly a physican lobby racket for making more $$$ in the name of nanny statist consumer protectionism.

Quoted for truth. Picking up meth and many other substances on the street is a lot easier and cheaper than getting albuterol or blood pressure medication in the US. Go figure.

The Tramadol one can be had at Gusher or Farmacia Internacional without any prescription. I had chatted with somebody on the trolley who was telling me about it, and I decided to see if it was true. Sure enough, I walked out of Gusher with an equivalent to Vicadin. BTW The stuff isn't that great, and it wouldn't be worth abusing and getting addicted to.
[size=12]

#15 bajashrink

bajashrink

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:40 AM

QUOTE (libertythor @ Sep 11 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Tramadol one can be had at Gusher or Farmacia Internacional without any prescription. I had chatted with somebody on the trolley who was telling me about it, and I decided to see if it was true. Sure enough, I walked out of Gusher with an equivalent to Vicadin.

The Wikipedia entry you linked says:

"In Mexico, combined with paracetamol and sold under the brand name Tramacet, it is widely available without a prescription."

Gusher isn't known to sell controlled meds over-the-counter. A few years ago I was there with a friend who went to fill his Rx for Tafil (Xanax). Although the prescription had the physican's control seal stamped on it, the pharmacist wouldn't accept it because the doctor forgot to write down how often he was supposed to take it. He thus had to go back to the doctor to have that info included on the Rx.

#16 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 September 2010 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (bajashrink @ Sep 10 2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wikipedia entry you linked says:

"In Mexico, combined with paracetamol and sold under the brand name Tramacet, it is widely available without a prescription."

Gusher isn't known to sell controlled meds over-the-counter. A few years ago I was there with a friend who went to fill his Rx for Tafil (Xanax). Although the prescription had the physican's control seal stamped on it, the pharmacist wouldn't accept it because the doctor forgot to write down how often he was supposed to take it. He thus had to go back to the doctor to have that info included on the Rx.

Also I did this back in 2005, and that was right when the federal government here was starting to look at getting serious at enforcing the prescription laws. I can see the parecetamol stuff being sold over-the-counter because any abuse of that would quickly mess up the liver. Kind of like a denatured version. lol

So much has changed in Mexico over the last few years that I am considering going through some of my key posts and editing anything that is critical like that. Today I did some needed changes to the public transportation wiki, and I noticed how my information on local baseball is utterly obselete already. The main thing I am worried about is the stuff that was posted on immigration.
[size=12]

#17 Inglourious Basterd

Inglourious Basterd
  • Advanced Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (libertythor @ Sep 8 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As a failsafe, I like Farmacias Gusher. There are locations at Plaza Rio, Plaza Americana Otay, and on Blvd Aguacaliente between 5 y 10 and Hipodromo. They carry just about anything.

Does anyone have the phone number for all three Gusher's? And aren't they open 24 hours?

#18 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Gusher's in Plaza Rio is open 24 hrs. I don't know about the others...

#19 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 06:52 PM

http://www.gusherfar...tijuana.com.mx/

Av. Paseo de los Heroes local 27-B Plaza Rio Tijuana
Zona Urbana Rio Tijuana
BC
Mexico

Phone: 684-0235