58 replies to this topic

#1 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Discos

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:21 PM

Throw away eveyrthiung you have seen in the movies or have heard from friends. Taco stands have some of the best food you will taste in TJ. I have never gotten Monties revenge and these stands are the best deals going. The tourist areas may have 3 for 1 dollar tacos but you will not get much meat on them. Try these instead

My personal favorite is La Chuleta, It is located on 5th St and F martinez.

Their tacos are huge and around 12 pesos each. This is where are the locals go for the best tacos in TJ. They have killer chorizo as well and my favorite is the Adobada which is spicy pork marinated in Orange juice.

They also serve beer here as well

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 252 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:47 AM

You're right. This place has great tacos.

#3 Tj 4 Rent

Tj 4 Rent
  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:01 PM

When in Rosarito the place to eat Tacos is Tacos Manual

There are 3 the Tacos Manual #1 is where I prefer to eat my over 1 pound Carne Asada Quesadillas (Taco with Meat and Cheese) For just under $2 with hand made corn tortillas this is a meal all by itself! I bet you can't eat more than two of these giants

Located on the on the east side of the main road through Rosarito Beach South of The New Calimax and north of the Old Calimax. Just look for the crowd of locals eating here!
Tj 4 Rent
tijuanablog@tj4rent.com

Earning Dollar$ and Spending Pesos
Can save you money and set you FREE!

#4 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 02:12 AM

I don't know the name but the morning taco stand on 3rd and Negrete is a slight change from your usual carne/barria taco stand. They serve large size shrimp or fish tacos as well as schrimp or fish sopa. A little different but definitely worth a try.

#5 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:30 AM

Thanks Ryu for adding to the site. We welcome your thoughts and posts to the board.
Tijuana is much more than Revolution ave
I am now George Constanza - Lord of the idiots :)

#6 dermdoc58

dermdoc58
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:women, money, travel, volunteering

Posted 23 August 2005 - 05:17 AM

i have been there many times-it is great, no need to go anywhere else it is always very very good. Those that are new to this should venture away from the Main part of town

#7 JimLane

JimLane
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Mountain and road bikes, belly dancing, sci-fi and wine

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:12 AM

and I have returned several times and introduced many friends to it. It is rare to see a place on the street hose down the grounds in between rushes, but that happens here.

jim
somewhere between San Diego and Ensenada

#8 tjglfr

tjglfr
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 12:16 AM

The best carne asada tacos are in the stand right outside the phone company at Pio Pico Street.

#9 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:12 AM

(tjglfr)
The best carne asada tacos are in the stand right outside the phone company at Pio Pico Street.

I've had pretty good carne asada tacos. You making a big statement there buddy, what was so good about it that you claim it was the best in TJ.

#10 tjglfr

tjglfr
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 01:35 AM

Everything is super fresh and clean.

#11 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 03:49 AM

(tjglfr)
Everything is super fresh and clean.

That can be said for about 80 percent of the stands that I know smile.gif

#12 bombero

bombero

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 05:09 AM

I had to make an emergency taco run the other night. A friend of mine at work talked about tacos "el pastor/ asadero" all day. By the time I got off work at 1100 at night I had a craving for tacos and headed to tj. I took care of my craving at tacos el gordo by I believe market hidalgo.

#13 sdc

sdc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:12 PM

I sit here in awe of teh fact that no one has mentioned Tacos Franc here yet..thats the best place in the world for tacos...

#14 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Travel and living on the border and Nayarit

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:59 PM

Taquiteria Frank en Playas

Open after 5 pm

Entering Playas take the road to the right (Paseo Playas de Tijuana). Take this road about 2 km. You pass the homes called La Perla (big granite rocks for an entrance) on the right. When you come to the PEMEX station, it is in that block. It has a parking lot.
Living with one foot one each on side of the border.

#15 bombero

bombero

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:42 PM

Because of the variety of tacos offered there is no way to agree on a best taco stand. Tacos de vapor are one of my favorites and I ususally get those out of someones tin can. There are stands that I believe are called "varios", stands hold containers with differant homemade recipes that they use to fill the tacos with. Some of these container hold the tastiest food you have ever tried in your life. There is another type of stand that I only see at night. They hand make the tortilla, fill it, deep fry it and serve it flat on a plate with white sauce and lettuce on top, not in the taco. These are really good too. As a kid we regularly stopped at the market (now hidalgo) for tacos de carnitas. That place is still in business 45 years later. To my surprise it was listed as one of the best taco stands in Tijuana by The san diego union trib. I stop there occationally and its still very good. And then there are the cabeza stands, etc. Not sure if burrito stands would fall under this category, but there are some good ones too.

#16 manwithstamina

manwithstamina
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:07 AM

I like the stand on the corner near Chicago Club. I guess it would be the north east corner of the intersection. The goat soap is pretty darn good too.

#17 bombero

bombero

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 08:38 PM

The girls can advise you on good places to eat. I tried a recommended place across from the CC club. Small sit down place, not fancy, not a stand. They served me the best carne asada plate I have ever had. I couldnt believe how good and cheap the food was. As the waitress was taking the empty plate from me she opened a door from the eating area to it looked like sink and counter where the dirty dishes pile up. The glimpse I caught was wall to wall roaches. Needless to say I didnt go back.

#18 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:21 PM

That is the worst area of TJ so you can expect that type of atmosphere and food that is subpar, your best bet is the taco carts

#19 bombero

bombero

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:20 PM

The adobado tacos at Chuleta are the best I have had. There big and inexpensive. I didnt like the tripa tacos they offered. I dont think they sell beer anymore.

#20 Scooby

Scooby

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

(milky)
My personal favorite is La Chuleta, It is located on 5th St and F martinez.
I haven't been there for a few years since I'd regularily take walks from my then apartment in Col. Independencia just up the hill.
They later remodeled. Food was good there I recall.

Lately, I've been enjoying the many different stands offering "tacos varios" at 10-11 pesos each. Usually a great deal since most places make them with 2 tortillas, rice, beans, and at least a half dozen choices of the main ingredient to add which could be chile relleno, lengue, birria, bistec con papas, pollo mole, pescado, tortita de carne, etc. The quality I've always found to be at least acceptable while the menu will vary slightly.

In the last few years, Tacos Junior has grown rapidly because (I beleive) of their cleanliness, service, and decent seafood menu. Their main location is in Centro at 10th & Ocampo with parking. They've several other locations throughout TJ and Rosarito. I recommend the seafood soup (30p,40p for sm or lg), ceviche tostadas (seafood or shrimp - approx 15p), and of course, the fish tacos (11 or 12p).
biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users