Jump to content


Photo

Mail


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:07 AM

We are trying to figure out what to do about our mail after we move to TJ. I just read that San Ysidro has approximately two dozen different private mailbox services. Do they vary much in terms of reliability and cost?



#2 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:11 AM

I have a private mailbox in Normal Heights, and don't plan to change it.  It costs me $78 per year, which is the cheapest that I found.  I had another one for eight years, but they lost their lease, and they were $120 per year.  Rates can vary depending several factors:  whether or not it's privately owned, a chain, and location.  The UPS Stores and Postal Annex stores are the highest, and the privately owned ones are lower.  Your best bet is to start calling around and find out which ones you're interested in, then check to see how late they're open, and if they'll hold lots of packages for you.

 

When I had to look for another one, I called around and got several different rates.  One UPS Store wanted $180 per year, a Postal Annex Store wanted $160 per year, and a privately owned one, wanted $125 per year. Also try calling places in Chula Vista, because you may get a better rate.  There's a storage facility in Chula Vista that has mailboxes, and I checked their website out curiosity, but they have too many rules.



#3 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:BAJA/SOCAL

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

USPS PO Boxes are the cheapest.  What I did was get a PO BOX while I still lived in San Diego and had a USA Address, I kept my PO Box at the Mission Valley Mall Post Office for three and a half years while living in TJ and would check it every Tuesday and Friday after work (my office was in Mission Valley).


"YO heart BC"

 


#4 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:58 AM

Yes, USPS PO boxes are the cheapest, but a PMB gives you an actual street address.  There are lots of companies that won't deliver to a USPS POB.  It all depends on what the needs of the person are. If I had a USPS box, they'd get very upset at the amount of mail that I get. 

 

My bills all come electronically, but I do a lot of ordering online, so I get a lot of packages in varying sizes, lots of free samples, free magazines, and coupons.  I currently pick up my mail MWF, and my box is full when I go in.  I'll be picking it up every other Friday and Saturday depending on my schedule, and possible one weekday if I'm across the border. 

 

The owner of the place where I get my mail says he has lots of customers that only pick up their mail on Saturdays, and he just holds it for pickup.



#5 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Playas de Rosarito, BC, Mexico
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:37 PM

You can find most of the San Ysidro postal companies by doing a Google search and some of them offer discounts.  They vary in price and UPS is usually the more expensive at $20/monthly.  It is more convenient to have a box rental near the border otherwise you will spend a lot more time driving (or taking the trolley/bus) to those locations away from the border and they are not any cheaper than the ones at the border.  The problem with the U.S. postal service is that it is not a street address so you will have problems with packages being delivered as well as legal documents such as driver's licenses, etc.  I've never had a problem with the postal boxes that has a street address.



#6 bajashrink

bajashrink

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 274 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tijuana

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've had a P.O. Box  at the U.S. Post Office in San Ysidro for years.  The U.S. Postal Service began accepting private parcel deliveries to post office boxes in 2012.  I've received parcels from UPS at mine.  You just have to sign up for it first at the post office customer service counter. Also, any parcel delivered by UPS, Fedex, etc. has to be addressed to the post office's physical address like this example:

 

Maria Gomez

440 W. San Ysidro Blvd., #(your P.O. Box number)

San Ysidro, CA  92173

 

 

You can also sign up to receive a notice from your post office branch via e-mail whenever first class mail or a parcel arrives. 



#7 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:50 PM

I have no plans to change my address.  I had to change it two years ago, because the place where I had my box for eight years lost their least. It's just as convenient for me to keep what I have now, and just pick it up when I'm in San Diego on the weekends.



#8 HK70

HK70

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

I have a box at the mail place inside the building at the SY trolley stop where the McDonalds is located.  This is very convenient if you walk across the border on a regular basis but may not be a very good choice if you drive since there is no where to park unless you want to pay to park.  I have been using it for 3+ years and sign an annual commitment in which they will give you a another month free.  I paid approximatley $130 for 13 months.  You have a street address so no PO box #.  For large packages they will charge you after a few days if you don't pick them up.  I believe access is available 24 hours but the actual store maintans hours from maybe 9am-6pm Mon - Sat.



#9 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:28 PM

I pay $78 per year, and he'll hold all my packages, no matter what the size they are indefinitely.  It's just as convenient for me to keep my address as is, and pick up my mail once per week.  I'll be taking the trolley when I cross the border on weekdays, and driving on the weekends.



#10 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for all the input!!! I appreciate it so much :). I will start shopping around...



#11 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:08 PM

Will a private mail box (such as at Postal Annex) work as a primary address for things that require CA residency?



#12 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:San Diego, CA
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:33 PM

Will a private mail box (such as at Postal Annex) work as a primary address for things that require CA residency?

Yes, that's what I have (and have had one for years) but the Postal Annex and UPS Stores have the most expensive rates for their private mailboxes. Shop around, you can get a better rate, and try to get an independent store, their rates will be lower.  I use The Box Stop, Etc., on Adams Avenue, but you  can have your address anywhere.

 

I'd never go back to a regular USPS POB.  PMB's cost more, but much more convenient, plus I never have to wait in line to get mail that doesn't fit into my box.



#13 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:28 AM

Yes, that's what I have (and have had one for years) but the Postal Annex and UPS Stores have the most expensive rates for their private mailboxes. Shop around, you can get a better rate, and try to get an independent store, their rates will be lower.  I use The Box Stop, Etc., on Adams Avenue, but you  can have your address anywhere.

 

I'd never go back to a regular USPS POB.  PMB's cost more, but much more convenient, plus I never have to wait in line to get mail that doesn't fit into my box.

 

Yes, that makes sense. I think we will go with PMB, too! Thanks for much for sharing your experience--very helpful.



#14 Keyno

Keyno

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 255 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colonia Independencia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:46 AM

I have a box at the mail place inside the building at the SY trolley stop where the McDonalds is located.  This is very convenient if you walk across the border on a regular basis but may not be a very good choice if you drive since there is no where to park unless you want to pay to park.  I have been using it for 3+ years and sign an annual commitment in which they will give you a another month free.  I paid approximatley $130 for 13 months.  You have a street address so no PO box #.  For large packages they will charge you after a few days if you don't pick them up.  I believe access is available 24 hours but the actual store maintans hours from maybe 9am-6pm Mon - Sat.

ahh good news, comes up as a address, not a PO Box. I had the Mr.Mail 511 E. San Ysidro, and they said it comes up as a address, but yours is much much closer for a walking sentri user, ;)



#15 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Playas de Rosarito, BC, Mexico
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Keyno...How much is the Mr. Mail (small box)?  

I'm looking for a cheaper box than $20/mth and closer to the border.



#16 Keyno

Keyno

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 255 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colonia Independencia

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

Keyno...How much is the Mr. Mail (small box)?  

I'm looking for a cheaper box than $20/mth and closer to the border.

If I remember right, $45 for 3 months, but new customer they add $18+, keys, paperwork ect..






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users