• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:25 AM

To watch Netflix (US content), Hulu Plus, etc. one needs a US IP address. One can configure a computer to use a VPN so one gets a US IP address using a VPN, but usage is limited to that device.

If one want to (simultaneous) use multiple devices needing a US IP address one needs the router itself to connect to a VPN. When this is done all devices connected to the (wireless) router will have a US IP address. That also means one can use something like a Roku box or a big screen TV with wireless a connection to watch Netflix, etc.

It appears that by using a router with DD-WRT one can connect it to a VPN service such as HideMyAss or StrongVPN. Then all devices connected to the router will have a US IP address.

Here's some "how to" information:

VPN Routers with DDWRT for Watching Nexflix, Hulu, etc. in Mexico

VPN Routers Review

http://vpnfreedom.co...routers-review/

As more and more devices without VPN support makes it into our homes and offices so does the demand for alternate VPN solutions. An increasingly popular option is to connect to VPN from a router and thereby provide the benefits for all devices connected to the router. Hence the need for this VPN router review.

Devices such as the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Apple TV, Roku Box, Nintendo 3DS, HDT TVs, Blu-Ray players all lack the option of connecting to a VPN. This becomes a problem when you want to Netflix, Hulu and other US services outside of the US.

Below is a list of reviewed routers all compatible and recommended by the industry leader Hide My Ass VPN (Yes that is their name).

Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-AG300H Review

Looking for the ultimate VPN router then look no further. With and impressive 128mb RAM to run the DD-WRT firmware, this is a monster router set to give you the best VPN throughput on the market.
$89 Buy Now

Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-G300NH Review

This router is the little brother of the WZR-HP-AG300H. Not many things set the two apart but nevertheless the heavy user might find these to be a deal breaker.
$65 Buy Now

Buffalo Airstation WHR-HP-G300N Review

The baby brother of the whole Airstation series is it worth the admittedly low price point or are you better of skipping a family size pizza and pony up the money for one of the bigger brothers?
$42 Buy Now

http://vpnfreedom.co...-ag300h-review/

Looking for the ultimate VPN router then look no further. With and impressive 128mb RAM to run the DD-WRT firmware, this is a monster router set to give you the best VPN throughput on the market.

About the Router
This router is currently the king of the Buffalo Airstation routers and deservingly so. As mentioned above the WZR-HP-AG300H comes with 128 mb of ram, and allows the firmware to process VPN tunneling (What is VPN) super efficient and hereby making sure that you are not loosing speed on your connection due to a bottleneck in the router. On top of that the router works as a dual band network with speeds up to 300Mbps and Creates 802.11n (2.4GHz / 5GHz), 802.11a, 802.11g and 802.11b networks.

Perfect for Unblocking Netflix and Other Services
Here at VPNfreedom we are of course focused on the VPN capabilities of the router. The reason being that this router is an obvious choice if you are looking to unblock Netflix from outside the US, or simply want access to the American version of Netflix that has a much larger selection than any other country.

Devices such as the Apple TV, Roku Box, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, Nintendo 3D, HD TVs, Blu-Ray players and other set-top boxes do not have a build in VPN client. By using a router like the WZR-HP-AG300H that is connected to Hide My Ass VPN (Yes that is their name) then you can access Netflix on these devices from outside the US.

Conclusion
5/5 Stars.With the easy AOSS on push button setup, powerful CPU and plenty of Ram, FTP server feature, USB Storage Port, Dual Network options and build in VPN client then this is a winner. On top of that the price point is realty aggressive. A must have in my book no matter if you are looking for a VPN router or just a regular router for every day use.

The router is just $89 from Amazon

http://vpnfreedom.co...for-strong-vpn/

Preconfigured DD-WRT Router for Strong VPN

Many of the guides we have written on this site have to do with single devices. Sometimes however, you want to route all traffic in the household trough VPN because you need VPN on devices that have no dedicated VPN client. This feature is restricted to very expensive industry grade routers or is it?

Custom firmware on the router

Most routers today are running some sort variation of Linux in order to provide wireless access and route traffic, and this means you can flash your router with the open source router software DD-WRT. This however is no easy task and unless you have a deep understanding of the command line, Linux and data routing we strongly advice not to fool around with this on your own.

However, a company called Sabai Technology have specialized themselves in selling preconfigured routers capable of connecting to Strong VPN directly in the router. The company has excellent service and they ship the routers worldwide via Fedex. What is even more appealing is that the pricing on the routers is very reasonable indeed.

So together with a VPN account from Strong VPN (I suggest the $10 "Lite Open or PPTP" package) you will be able to route all traffic trough the VPN server all at once. This comes in handy if you have a devices such as a Playstation 3, Apple TV 2, Xbox 360 or any other device with no onboard VPN client.

#2 Ray

Ray
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Daniel @ Oct 5 2011, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To watch Netflix (US content), Hulu Plus, etc. one needs a US IP address. One can configure a computer to use a VPN so one gets a US IP address using a VPN, but usage is limited to that device.

If one want to (simultaneous) use multiple devices needing a US IP address one needs the router itself to connect to a VPN. When this is done all devices connected to the (wireless) router will have a US IP address. That also means one can use something like a Roku box or a big screen TV with wireless a connection to watch Netflix, etc.

It appears that by using a router with DD-WRT one can connect it to a VPN service such as HideMyAss or StrongVPN. Then all devices connected to the router will have a US IP address.

Here's some "how to" information:

VPN Routers with DDWRT for Watching Nexflix, Hulu, etc. in Mexico

VPN Routers Review

http://vpnfreedom.co...routers-review/

As more and more devices without VPN support makes it into our homes and offices so does the demand for alternate VPN solutions. An increasingly popular option is to connect to VPN from a router and thereby provide the benefits for all devices connected to the router. Hence the need for this VPN router review.

Devices such as the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Apple TV, Roku Box, Nintendo 3DS, HDT TVs, Blu-Ray players all lack the option of connecting to a VPN. This becomes a problem when you want to Netflix, Hulu and other US services outside of the US.

Below is a list of reviewed routers all compatible and recommended by the industry leader Hide My Ass VPN (Yes that is their name).

$89 Buy Now

Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-G300NH Review

This router is the little brother of the WZR-HP-AG300H. Not many things set the two apart but nevertheless the heavy user might find these to be a deal breaker.
$65 Buy Now

Buffalo Airstation WHR-HP-G300N Review

The baby brother of the whole Airstation series is it worth the admittedly low price point or are you better of skipping a family size pizza and pony up the money for one of the bigger brothers?
$42 Buy Now

http://vpnfreedom.co...-ag300h-review/

About the Router
This router is currently the king of the Buffalo Airstation routers and deservingly so. As mentioned above the WZR-HP-AG300H comes with 128 mb of ram, and allows the firmware to process VPN tunneling (What is VPN) super efficient and hereby making sure that you are not loosing speed on your connection due to a bottleneck in the router. On top of that the router works as a dual band network with speeds up to 300Mbps and Creates 802.11n (2.4GHz / 5GHz), 802.11a, 802.11g and 802.11b networks.

Perfect for Unblocking Netflix and Other Services
Here at VPNfreedom we are of course focused on the VPN capabilities of the router. The reason being that this router is an obvious choice if you are looking to unblock Netflix from outside the US, or simply want access to the American version of Netflix that has a much larger selection than any other country.

Devices such as the Apple TV, Roku Box, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, Nintendo 3D, HD TVs, Blu-Ray players and other set-top boxes do not have a build in VPN client. By using a router like the WZR-HP-AG300H that is connected to Hide My Ass VPN (Yes that is their name) then you can access Netflix on these devices from outside the US.

Conclusion
5/5 Stars.With the easy AOSS on push button setup, powerful CPU and plenty of Ram, FTP server feature, USB Storage Port, Dual Network options and build in VPN client then this is a winner. On top of that the price point is realty aggressive. A must have in my book no matter if you are looking for a VPN router or just a regular router for every day use.

The router is just $89 from Amazon

http://vpnfreedom.co...for-strong-vpn/

Preconfigured DD-WRT Router for Strong VPN

Many of the guides we have written on this site have to do with single devices. Sometimes however, you want to route all traffic in the household trough VPN because you need VPN on devices that have no dedicated VPN client. This feature is restricted to very expensive industry grade routers or is it?

Custom firmware on the router

Most routers today are running some sort variation of Linux in order to provide wireless access and route traffic, and this means you can flash your router with the open source router software DD-WRT. This however is no easy task and unless you have a deep understanding of the command line, Linux and data routing we strongly advice not to fool around with this on your own.

However, a company called Sabai Technology have specialized themselves in selling preconfigured routers capable of connecting to Strong VPN directly in the router. The company has excellent service and they ship the routers worldwide via Fedex. What is even more appealing is that the pricing on the routers is very reasonable indeed.

So together with a VPN account from Strong VPN (I suggest the $10 "Lite Open or PPTP" package) you will be able to route all traffic trough the VPN server all at once. This comes in handy if you have a devices such as a Playstation 3, Apple TV 2, Xbox 360 or any other device with no onboard VPN client.

So exactly what do you recommend? I'm trying to make sense of your post. Buy the router that's already configured directly from Sabait? Or buy the Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-AG300H and send it in to Sabait? I went to Sabait's website and they don't sell the Buffalo Airstation. What is the best VPN provider and what package do you recommend? Mainly for phone use and a little video from time to time.

Thank you!

Ray

#3 sycho

sycho
  • Advanced Member
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Learning Spanish. Bicycling. Food (Farm to Table). People Watching. Gazing Upon the Wonders of Nature. Listening to Music. Marijuana (Farm to Lungs or Stomach). Reading Good Books. Philosophizing.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE (Ray @ Jan 7 2012, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So exactly what do you recommend? I'm trying to make sense of your post. Buy the router that's already configured directly from Sabait? Or buy the Buffalo Airstation WZR-HP-AG300H and send it in to Sabait? I went to Sabait's website and they don't sell the Buffalo Airstation. What is the best VPN provider and what package do you recommend? Mainly for phone use and a little video from time to time.

Thank you!

Ray

Ray,

Do you have a router already? If so, it's likely that you are already capable of setting up a pptp connection. That will be a protocol option supported by most vpn servers. I found this blurb a bit confusing in that it is reviewing routers compatible with dd-wrt firmware for the purpose of supporting protocols using encryption (pptp does not) while concluding that a person should opt for an openlite or PPTP package when purchasing access to the vpn servers. It's like saying get a solid steel door to keep your home safe, but don't lock it. If you're just looking to watch some videos and make some phone calls, you don't really have a need to use a protocol that supports encryption. If you don't already have a router, you can do simple search for dd-wrt supported wireless routers. Claims about being the monster of routers are usually overblown. For your purposes they are pretty much irrelevant as well (you're just not going to be taxing the router that much). Cisco has always been a reliable source for networking hardware, and their home-user product line is LinkSys. D-Link is another brand I've had good experiences with in the past. I would not spend outside of the $40 - $60 range (I really bargain hunt, though, and am not afraid of used or factory refurbs under the right conditions). Anything cheaper and you're either very lucky or getting an inferior product. Anything more, and you're probably looking at overkill (better than an inferior product, but...). Buffalo Airstation? Never heard of them, but I haven't done major purchasing in the IT arena in nearly six years. The piece above, though, does read more like sales propaganda than a serious review. If you wanted to wait a couple of months, I'd even send you my LinkSys WRT160Nv3 in May. It is perfectly capable of making a pptp connection. I'll be taking off from Louisville, KY, then on a bike ride to Tijuana. Maybe when I get there you could make a recommendation or two as to which direction I might want to head.

I would never presume to be qualified to tell people what they should or shouldn't do, but I'm hoping I've provided some useful information that will help you in your decision making.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (Ray @ Jan 7 2012, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to give options more than recommendations. Such as:

Option 1: Buy a configured router from Sabait. This option costs more money, but requires less technical knowledge.

Option 2: Buy a Buffalo Airstation (or other DD-WRT) router and configure it yourself. This option cost less money, but requires more technical knowledge.

What is the best option depends on an individual's income and technical know-how.

---------------

BTW, you can't buy a router and have Sabait configure it your you.

Fry's Electronics sells various brands of routers including Buffalo Airstation routers. An IT guy I spoke gave Buffalo high marks; they make more than routers.

#5 Micheal

Micheal
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

I think 2nd option will suitable to get us IP. Further try I have done that the router restarting time to time repeating so that the configuration displaying problem.

#6 telomere

telomere
  • Advanced Member
  • 76 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:21 PM

Minimal investment and up front and ... wait for it... take it with you on your laptop! I use it to watch movies at families house or if i am not on my moto crossing the border.

Option 3: Go to http://www.strongvpn.com

about 6 or $7 dollars per month gets you a U.S.A. i.p.

turn it on and off as you please. I use it for hulu and other video and data sites that tell me, they cannot offer their service to me, blah blah blah

turn on strongvpn, then press connect and magically i can watch it.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Telomere...that's good information and I appreciate your post.

For me having to hook up my computer to my LED television, then connect my computer to Strong VPN every with I want to watch Netflix, etc. is enough of a hassle that I'd rather do a "set and forget" router configuration.

However, should the time come I pirate my neighbor's Internet, want to watch Netflix at a friend's house in TJ, etc. this would be just the ticket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users