Jump to content


Photo

God & Mr. Gomez - Jack Smiths House Found!


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

    Who Knew?

  • Validating
  • 955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rosarito / San Quintin, BC Mexico
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Music, Internet

Posted 11 May 2009 - 07:49 AM

Did a little research and discovered that Jack Smith's famous "God and Mr. Gomez" beach house is just an hours drive along a dirt road, heading out from Santo Tomas, south of Ensenada. I put up a short review of the book online along with pictures of Jack Smith, his wife Denny and a photo of the house that inspired the book, as it looks today.

I also included a copy of Jack Smith's column from the LA Times where he announced the construction of the house along with a Google Earth Link to its actual location...

Jack Smith's God & Mr. Gomez House

I grew up reading all of Jack Smith's columns as a kid and remember him telling the story of its construction and his struggles with Mr. Gomez along the way. If you have never read the book it will give you a lot of insight into the transformation many of us who have lived here a long time go through.





Life is Too Short! Adventure Out, Take Risks, Explore, Dream & Discover...

#2 otayBill

otayBill

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 612 posts
  • Location:Chapultepec, Tijuana

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

Do you find Jack Smith's observations on rural Baja relevant to Tijuana?


#3 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

    Who Knew?

  • Validating
  • 955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rosarito / San Quintin, BC Mexico
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Music, Internet

Posted 11 May 2009 - 08:22 PM

Not in everything, but in the general sense of learning to adapt to Mexico instead of bringing all the NOB preconceived notions and expectations of how life should be and how things should be done. I guess that is where I related to the writers story and his own experiences. I also believe that is where most Gringos who don't do well down here hit their proverbial "tope" in the road...



Life is Too Short! Adventure Out, Take Risks, Explore, Dream & Discover...

#4 sdc

sdc

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 937 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:San Diego

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

I read the book and really enjoyed it I'll have to go check out the house.,.
"What do you think this is Happy Days?"

#5 otayBill

otayBill

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 612 posts
  • Location:Chapultepec, Tijuana

Posted 12 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

I picked up a copy at the San Diego public library. Great book! It really captures the Baja experience.

Quick read, I read it one evening.

#6 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

    Who Knew?

  • Validating
  • 955 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rosarito / San Quintin, BC Mexico
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Music, Internet

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

Go see the house AFTER you read the book. You will really enjoy the drive out there as well as seeing the house so much more...



Life is Too Short! Adventure Out, Take Risks, Explore, Dream & Discover...

#7 mungoanne

mungoanne
  • Advanced Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:40 AM

I have this book on professional book audio tape (new, never used) and would love to share it....if anyone is interested. Not sure I want to give it away.........but I don't have a tape recorder but I might get one in the future. I have read the book several times.............Jack Smith's books are always a kick. I miss him, Murray and Caen.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users