• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

I got tired of waiting in line when returning from Mexico. I now have a Sentri Pedestrian Pass and I've applied for a Sentri auto pass. In case anyone else, like me, is tired of waiting in line let provide some details about getting a sentry pass.

The Sentri Pedestrian Pass is/was a pilot program. When I applied (November 2004) it was free. Go to the Old Port Building between 8am and 3pm Monday through Friday. (I walked in and left with a pedestrian pass 45 minutes later). Walk past all the people in line, tell anyone who asks who are doing that you want a Sentri pass. They’ll direct you to a back room where they process pedestrian applications.

The Old Port Building is the building with US flags that you see on the US side of the border when returning by foot from Mexico. (It is just after you pass the charity worker who asks for spare change.) I had to cross into Mexico and walked back because I the SOB of security guard wouldn't let me go the "wrong way" into the customs building.

The Sentri Pedestrian Pass can (currently) be used Monday through Friday from 6am-9am and 3pm-7pm. Rumors say they will expand the hours someday.

For an auto pass you need to make an appointment, which took me about a month to get. (They have Saturday appointments, if that is of interest.) After submitting your application, it is supposed to take 3-4 months to process the application. You pay a $49.00 fee when submitting the application and an $80.00 fee when they attach the "black box" to your car during your second appointment.

For an appointment call the Otay Border Crossing at (619) 690-7600. To get there go south on Interstate 805. Take Hwy 905 east as if you were going to Mexico. The last stop light on Hwy 905 is Seimpre Vida. Turn left on Siempre Vida. Go towards the Otay Mesa Port of Entry building. The very last right into the otherwise employee parking lot is for visitors. The exact address (for map quest fans) is 2500 Paseo International, San Diego, CA 92154.

They will take fingerprints for both applications. They will also take a facial scan for the Pedestrian pass when it is issued to you. (I don't know what happens during the second appointment for auto passes as I'm still waiting for my auto pass.)

Here is what you need:

***Completed Application
You can pick up the application in person or download it. (Try http:// www.cbp.gov (sentry) . I forget where I found it, but no doubt a goggle search will produce results.)

***$49.00 Application fee. Cash, check, money order, Visa, Master Card, or AMEX.
You need exact change if paying by cash.

***Proof of US Citizenship or the right to enter the US
--US Birth Certificate, Naturalization Papers or US Passport
--Resident Visa, I-551 Resident Alien Card
--Non-Immigrant Visa-Laser L-1, H-1, G-4, etc.

*** Valid Driver's License (auto and pedestrian pass)
--US driver’s license for cars with US plates
--Mexican driver’s license for cars with Mexican Plates
Note: For some reason to get the Pedestrian pass I had to show both my US driver's license (not my California ID card) and my US passport.

****Proof of Financial Solvency.
--2 or more recent pay stubs or a Direct Deposit Salary Statement
Hint: A letter from your employer confirming your employment and rate of pay is a nice addition and might be accepted in lieu of pay stubs. The letter does not have to be notarized.
Notes:
Self Employed: If you are self-employed it is more complex. They want copies of your business license, current business and personal bank statements, and last year’s tax return.
Unemployed: You need copies of the above from whoever supports you. Also a notarized letter by whoever supports you indicating he/she supports you.
Students: Proof of enrollment. Ask: I’m unsure what exactly is needed for students.

***Proof of Residency
--Utility Bill
--Rental agreement for renters. Mortgage statement or property tax bill from home owners.

***Vehicle Registration (auto pass only)
DMV Vehicle registration
Note: If your name is not on the vehicle registration—say you drive a company car—you need a notarized letter (on company letterhead) stating you are authorized to use the car. (See sample.)

****Proof of US Auto Insurance (auto pass only)
The proof of insurance form provided by you insurance agent.
Note: If your car has Mexican license plates you still need US auto insurance.

***US Contact address and phone number
This can be where you live, if you live in the US. Or the US address and phone number of a friend.

***************Copies of everything.
They return the original documents to you and keep copies. However, they won’t copy the documents for you, so you must bring a copy of everything you will present. (This includes your passport and driver’s license. Everything means everything.)

***Hint
If you go to the office in Otay about 7pm they will review your documents before the actual appointment. (They close about 8pm, but the last appointment is about 6pm.) I did and it saved my bacon. That's when I learned about the letter I needed because I'm driving a company car.

Misc. Information
If you have a US passport, use it. I think they prefer it to a birth certificate. (It doesn’t hurt to bring both.)
The application form requests a marriage certificate. I said I was single and wasn’t asked for it. I assume this is for adding a spouse as a passenger. (There are provisions for adding spouses and dependents.)

If you are a Mexican national residing in Mexico you need to present an original “Carta de no Antecdedentes Penalses.” (Also bring a copy.)

If you are a US Citizen residing in Mexico you still qualify. They accept Mexican utility bills and rental contracts.

The application asks questions about criminal convictions. Don’t lie—using your fingerprints, etc. they conduct a background computer check and will learn everything about you. A past criminal conviction does not necessarily disqualify you. They are more concerned about people who have been convicted of border crossing offenses than those who “sowed their wild oats” at some point in the past.

Note Well: I suggest bring a letter, such as shown below, from your employer:

D.C.L. Enrollment Center
Otay Mesa Port of Entry
2500 Paseo International
San Diego, CA 92154

Dear Sir or Madame:

Martin Monger has worked as a salesman for ACME Products since January 1, 2004. He has an annual salary of $60,000.00./His rate of pay is $30.00 per hour.

Very truly yours,

Susan Sharpie
Payroll Clerk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you drive a company vehicle you must have a notarized letter on company stationery such as:

D.C.L. Enrollment Center
Otay Mesa Port of Entry
2500 Paseo International
San Diego, CA 92154

Dear Sir or Madame:

Martin Monger, a salesman for ACME Products, is authorized to operate in the Unites States, Canada, and Mexico, for both business and personal use, with or without passengers, the red 2004 Dodge Viper which belongs to this company. This licensed plate number of this vehicle is 4ABC123 and the vehicle identification number is 1A2BB3CCC4DDDD5EEEE.

Very truly yours,

Sterling Sharpie
President

--------------------------------------
Update:

Sadly, I've recedntly heard of many people having a SENTRI pass revoked or an application for a SENTRI pass denied over something in the distant past. The following article (which I condensed) published in the Baja Times might be useful to some in that situation.

The offense needs to have occurred more than seven ago. Also, I think you'll have more luck getting some relatively minor, such as a DUI, deleted than a violent or serious felony--but that's just my guess.

[b]Cleansing A Record For The Sentri Pass[b]

By: Roberta Giesea

Baja Times
STAFF WRITER

In 1995, the US government offered an alternative to the long border delays. It is the Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection, known as SENTRI.
The SENTRI program, first implemented at Otay Mesa, California, (now in 9 ports of entries), is "a land border-crossing program that provides expedited CBP (Customs and Border Protection) processing for pre-approved low-risk travelers." Those who have no criminal records are fingerprinted and approved for a SENTRI Pass allowing a quick pass through the border. If the lane is clear, there is no wait. However, at heavy travel times when normal lanes take over an hour, the SENTRI lane may take a half hour to cross. The SENTRI Pass alleviates the overwhelming aggravation of waiting hours to cross in non-Sentri lanes. The SENTRI Pass is a valuable possession. Rico says, "You can take anything you want from my wallet, but don't you dare take my SENTRI Pass. It's my most prized possession." He's not the only one who feels that way.

Tightening of regulations and revising original policy since 9/11 has caused a negative ripple through American residents living in Baja Calif, Mexico. Every minor infraction from failing to pay a traffic ticket to getting into a bar room brawl can cause a person to be denied a SENTRI Pass. Drugs and alcohol convictions cause problems in getting the SENTRI pass. A 60 year old prominent doctor who was standing in a street with alcohol in a paper cup when he was 23 years old can't get a Sentri Pass.

"I lost my SENTRI Pass after using it for 4 years to get to work," says a fifty year old grandmother who crosses the border every day. "I have one blip on my record that occurred in 1964. I never went to jail and have been a solid citizen, so why am I being punished for something I did 40 years ago?" she laments. "It wouldn't be so bad if I had never been issued a Sentri Pass, but to lose it after I've proven myself to be responsible really makes me angry. It puts a burden on me I don't deserve!"

"The SENTRI Pass is a privilege, not a right," a former Border Patrol and current FBI agent answered when told that over 20,000 United States citizens lost their SENTRI passes two years ago because of a one time minor infraction on their records thirty or forty years ago. Congressmen and other government representatives have been less than sympathetic as some appeal to them for help.

Bill Smith is an example of a person who has tenacity to clear his record in order to be reinstated into the SENTRI program. Twenty-five years ago he received a drunk driving ticket in California. His SENTRI Pass was pulled two years ago when the requirements tightened. Since then, he's been determined to clear his record. He wants his SENTRI Pass back.

After many failed attempts, Bill finally won the battle. "On the 7th of this month, I got my SENTRI Pass back after two years of writing to every government official in the country, from the President on down. No one would help me, except me, myself!" "No matter what you do or who you know at Sentri, you will fail," says Bill who couldn't be stopped. "7 DUI's showed up on my FBI record but none appeared on the California records since California records are cleared after 8 years. I contacted The California Department of Justice to ask the FBI to expunge my records. When my FBI record was cleared, I could re-apply for my Sentri Pass. The process took about 10 weeks."

The following is the procedure Bill recommends to those who committed a state crime in California [more than seven years ago]:

1) Look up Live Scan in the phone book. If you can not find the phone number for your area, call the court records and they can give it to you.
2) Live Scan will cost about $65. They will fingerprint you and send them to Sacramento with all your information.
3) Live Scan will be sent to the Department of Justice in Sacramento. Once they review it you will get a letter stating what is on your record. If it is clean, you need to call Robert Santo who is the assistant to Jerry Brown in the Department of Justice. His phone number is 916-227-3364. Tell him you are applying for a Sentri Pass. The letter from the state was clean but Live Scan still has the record on it. Ask him if it is possible to remove it off the FBI records because it is so old. California doesn't keep records on file after 8 years, but the Feds keep them indefinitely. It is most important to get the Federal records cleared. Ask Robert Santo to ask the FBI to expunge the record.
4) Call Robert Santo after 3 weeks to verify that your records have been expunged.
5) If your FBI record is clear, apply for a SENTRI Pass on your computer.
Go to www.cbp.gov. Click on the "Travel" tab on the top right side of the screen.
Click on "Trusted Traveler Programs" tab on the left side of the screen.
Click on "SENTRI or On-Line Application for NEXUS and SENTRI" in the center of the screen and follow the prompts to enroll as a user. It will cost $25 for an application fee.

Note: If your violation occurred in a state other than California, contact the State Department of Justice of that particular state. Check your state's time frame policy for dropping state conviction records. Keep in mind that Federal crimes will always be a problem.

Bill says, "I know this information will help thousands of people. For a fee of $100 I will provide a more detailed fact sheet that will help them through the cleansing process." His email address is: bill0351@aol.com and phone number: 909-237-4663....

#2 Chino1

Chino1
  • Advanced Member
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Cumbia/Ballroom dancer

Posted 03 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

Very detail and good inf. thank you Daniel, on pedestrian pass do they have their own lane or you can cut in the long line , how does it work?
Enjoy Cha-Cha/Rumba/Salsa/Lumba-rangue

#3 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Travel and living on the border and Nayarit

Posted 03 October 2005 - 06:28 PM

My Sentri passes are expiring in Nov. They told me to call for a renewal one month ahead of time. Has anyone had to renew and what are the steps they want you to go through besides pay money? How long did it take to do the renewal process once you call. I'm in Boston until next week so I can't do anything right now.
Living with one foot one each on side of the border.

#4 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

Just called to get a renewal appointment and the tape says they have no appointments now. I assume that to mean my present Sentri pass is good until they open up renewal appointments.

#5 cathart

cathart
  • Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 08:35 AM

I have my Sentri Pass appointment next Thursday. We will be in Mexico though, so will not be coming from the U.S. to Otay Mesa, but actually from the Rosarito area to Otay Mesa instead. Which side of the border will my appointment be on, and where should we park? If it is on the US side, how much time should we allow to get across the border--or can we just leave our car on the Mexican side and walk to the appointment? Thanks for the help!

#6 zapatamama

zapatamama
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

Hi All,

I will be commuting to SD with some regularity. What is the average wait times WITH Sentri, crossing in the morning to US and back in the evening?
Can anyone recommend scheduling best practices for a quick crossing?

Thanks,
Zapatamama

#7 tjwalker

tjwalker
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

With the Sentri pass, do I still need to carry other IDs to enter US (like passport, DL, etc)? The hassel of losing these IDs and re-applying is just too much for me.

#8 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

If those three documents plus registration, insurance are too much for you then you better keep walking. You might however get the SENTRI Pedestrian pass that puts you to the head of the walking line durning certain times of the work week.

#9 rosnjust

rosnjust
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 03:59 AM

Check out this site. It has good info about the SENTRI.

http://www.bajabound...mits/sentri.asp

#10 tjwalker

tjwalker
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am more interested in the Sentri Pedestrian pass as I seldomly drive through the border. And my question is, with this Sentri pass, do I still need to carry passport and other ID documents?

#11 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:02 AM

The Sentri ID is not a substitute for a passport. They tell you very specifically, not to expect to use it as a form of identification upon entering the country. Why they tell you this, I have no idea because to get the card you need to prove your citizenship and prove your residency. When I got my card it was free, but they may charge for it now. I have never been asked to show other ID when using the Sentri card and I rarely carry my passport unless I know I will not be using the Sentri lanes because people with me do not have the Sentri card.

My card expires Nov 5, and I was told by the Sentri appointments scheduler, they still have no renewal appointments. Just use my card after it expires, and some day they will tell me to go get it renewed. I will be notified by the public news or when I drive through.

#12 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:51 PM

If you are a US Citizen, you currently don't need a passport to enter from Mexico. Drivers license will suffice. This may change in the future. But it wouldn't hurt to carry your passport (I don't carry mine and have never had any problem).

More important with Sentri is to make sure you have your Sentri card, car registration and insurance documents. If you get sent to secondary inspection for a compliance check you need these documents.

To clarify on the renewals... The Sentri office is not processing ANY renewals at this time. Everyone can continue to use their Sentri passes until renewals are being processed some time in the future. From what I have heard they are working on a system to allow renewals to be processed over the Internet. They must have figured out that they can't enroll new people in Sentri and process 80,000 + renewals every two years.

It is my belief that the intention is to get most everyone on Sentri in the future. I suspect in 10 years there will be more Sentri lanes than regular lanes. This is my reasoning:

* The US government can track who crosses, when they cross etc
* The US government has a background check on everyone crossing
* They can fit more cars through on Sentri than the regular lanes which allows the border to support more cars crossing each day
* Some people might say it's because of the fees... but I suspect they are losing money with the Sentri program. $129 would barely cover the equipment they place in your car not considering the costs of the Sentri office, computers, staff etc.

I actually believe they should put in place Sentri VIP which would cost something like $500 per year and only accept a certain number of enrollees to guarantee a very short wait at the border in a special lane. But of course this would be probably cause a riot because it would not be fair for everyone.

#13 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:09 PM

The last week or two the border guards and the newpaper have publizied that people with expired Sentri cards need call for an appointment to renew before June 1st of this year.

After numerous phone calls and no answers on the Sentri phone line, my wife and I went there to update our expired pass.

We took everything that they required, but found out that they wanted more. My wife is a naturalized US citizen so they said they wanted to see the Naturalization Certificate, in addition to the US Passport that we brought. This is not on the list. They also wanted our marriage certificate which is not on the list.

Eventhough, my wife and I applied together, they want double copies of everything. One complete set of originals and a copy for me and another set of the same thing for me. They want double everything for the cars an insurance too.

The real reason I am writing this up as a WARNING is to notify all you Sentri users of the LONG WAIT that you will be facing. This wait will occur with or without an appointment.

Since the Sentri office never answer their phones to make appointments, we arrived Wed. Mar. 1st at 12:30pm with all our documents. I stood in the line to make appointments and was given April 12th at 2:30pm. My wife thought the line was not very long and waited in the other line as a walkin.

The girls at the desk said the wait was not very long today. (Apparently last week it was a mad house.) She took our information and told us to wait for our name. About 3pm our name was called and we presented our documents and were told to pay and then be fingerprinted. About 5pm we did that. Then we were told to wait for our final interview. They called our name about 6:30 for that. The girl told us that we may want to go out and have a bite to eat since the fingerprint check takes about 3-4 hours. Others said the line was short that evening and it wouldn't take that long (about an hour). So, the fools that we are, we did not go eat, but waited.

It at 9:30pm we were handed our new Sentri cards. Nine hours, and I don't see that they have the process streamlined at all. The Sentri Office should warn people about the wait and the non-functional phones, but since they don't I will. I wonder if I can sell one of you my appointment time now that I don't need it.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. TAKE A SNACK!!!!!!!

#14 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:19 PM

I didn't have any issue using my Mexico residence address... but had to wait about 6 hours for the full renewal process. Bring a book, and snacks !

#15 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:01 PM

My girlfriend renewed her Sentri yesterday (Sunday 4/23/06). Her appointment was at 2:30pm. She arrived at around 2pm and was done with her renewal in 1.5 hours. Much faster than my appointment.

#16 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:15 AM

(Chiquito)
My main concern is that I sold the house in San Diego that I had been listing has primary address. So I will have to switch to the Mexican rented place as the primary address but will use my San Diego business address for mail.

Not going to be a problem. I am using only my Mexican address... You will just need proof of your residence (rent receipts, lease, a couple of utility bills). They don't send any mail.

#17 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 257 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 03:17 AM

Over the past couple of years I've heard of many people having a SENTRI pass revoked or an application for a SENTRI pass denied over something in the distant past. The following article (which I condensed) published in the Baja Times might be useful to some in that situation.

To clear your record the offense needs to have occurred more than seven ago. Also, I think you'll have more luck getting some relatively minor, such as a DUI, deleted than a violent or serious felony--but that's just my guess.

Cleansing A Record For The Sentri Pass

By: Roberta Giesea

Baja Times
STAFF WRITER

In 1995, the US government offered an alternative to the long border delays. It is the Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection, known as SENTRI.
The SENTRI program, first implemented at Otay Mesa, California, (now in 9 ports of entries), is "a land border-crossing program that provides expedited CBP (Customs and Border Protection) processing for pre-approved low-risk travelers." Those who have no criminal records are fingerprinted and approved for a SENTRI Pass allowing a quick pass through the border. If the lane is clear, there is no wait. However, at heavy travel times when normal lanes take over an hour, the SENTRI lane may take a half hour to cross. The SENTRI Pass alleviates the overwhelming aggravation of waiting hours to cross in non-Sentri lanes. The SENTRI Pass is a valuable possession. Rico says, "You can take anything you want from my wallet, but don't you dare take my SENTRI Pass. It's my most prized possession." He's not the only one who feels that way.

Tightening of regulations and revising original policy since 9/11 has caused a negative ripple through American residents living in Baja Calif, Mexico. Every minor infraction from failing to pay a traffic ticket to getting into a bar room brawl can cause a person to be denied a SENTRI Pass. Drugs and alcohol convictions cause problems in getting the SENTRI pass. A 60 year old prominent doctor who was standing in a street with alcohol in a paper cup when he was 23 years old can't get a Sentri Pass.

"I lost my SENTRI Pass after using it for 4 years to get to work," says a fifty year old grandmother who crosses the border every day. "I have one blip on my record that occurred in 1964. I never went to jail and have been a solid citizen, so why am I being punished for something I did 40 years ago?" she laments. "It wouldn't be so bad if I had never been issued a Sentri Pass, but to lose it after I've proven myself to be responsible really makes me angry. It puts a burden on me I don't deserve!"

"The SENTRI Pass is a privilege, not a right," a former Border Patrol and current FBI agent answered when told that over 20,000 United States citizens lost their SENTRI passes two years ago because of a one time minor infraction on their records thirty or forty years ago. Congressmen and other government representatives have been less than sympathetic as some appeal to them for help.

Bill Smith is an example of a person who has tenacity to clear his record in order to be reinstated into the SENTRI program. Twenty-five years ago he received a drunk driving ticket in California. His SENTRI Pass was pulled two years ago when the requirements tightened. Since then, he's been determined to clear his record. He wants his SENTRI Pass back.

After many failed attempts, Bill finally won the battle. "On the 7th of this month, I got my SENTRI Pass back after two years of writing to every government official in the country, from the President on down. No one would help me, except me, myself!" "No matter what you do or who you know at Sentri, you will fail," says Bill who couldn't be stopped. "7 DUI's showed up on my FBI record but none appeared on the California records since California records are cleared after 8 years. I contacted The California Department of Justice to ask the FBI to expunge my records. When my FBI record was cleared, I could re-apply for my Sentri Pass. The process took about 10 weeks."

The following is the procedure Bill recommends to those who committed a state crime in California [more than seven years ago]:

1) Look up Live Scan in the phone book. If you can not find the phone number for your area, call the court records and they can give it to you.
2) Live Scan will cost about $65. They will fingerprint you and send them to Sacramento with all your information.
3) Live Scan will be sent to the Department of Justice in Sacramento. Once they review it you will get a letter stating what is on your record. If it is clean, you need to call Robert Santo who is the assistant to Jerry Brown in the Department of Justice. His phone number is 916-227-3364. Tell him you are applying for a Sentri Pass. The letter from the state was clean but Live Scan still has the record on it. Ask him if it is possible to remove it off the FBI records because it is so old. California doesn't keep records on file after 8 years, but the Feds keep them indefinitely. It is most important to get the Federal records cleared. Ask Robert Santo to ask the FBI to expunge the record.
4) Call Robert Santo after 3 weeks to verify that your records have been expunged.
5) If your FBI record is clear, apply for a SENTRI Pass on your computer.
Go to www.cbp.gov. Click on the "Travel" tab on the top right side of the screen.
Click on "Trusted Traveler Programs" tab on the left side of the screen.
Click on "SENTRI or On-Line Application for NEXUS and SENTRI" in the center of the screen and follow the prompts to enroll as a user. It will cost $25 for an application fee.

Note: If your violation occurred in a state other than California, contact the State Department of Justice of that particular state. Check your state's time frame policy for dropping state conviction records. Keep in mind that Federal crimes will always be a problem.

Bill says, "I know this information will help thousands of people. For a fee of $100 I will provide a more detailed fact sheet that will help them through the cleansing process." His email address is: bill0351@aol.com and phone number: 909-237-4663....

#18 noyzsi

noyzsi
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 03:10 AM

i have a question every time u pass the sentri do they ask u questions if somebody has a bad record and if they live with u a friend of mine is going thru that right now his parents has the sentri if anybody can help me i would appreciated thank you

#19 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (andy @ Dec 13 2005, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are a US Citizen, you currently don't need a passport to enter from Mexico. Drivers license will suffice. This may change in the future. But it wouldn't hurt to carry your passport (I don't carry mine and have never had any problem).

More important with Sentri is to make sure you have your Sentri card, car registration and insurance documents. If you get sent to secondary inspection for a compliance check you need these documents.

To clarify on the renewals... The Sentri office is not processing ANY renewals at this time. Everyone can continue to use their Sentri passes until renewals are being processed some time in the future. From what I have heard they are working on a system to allow renewals to be processed over the Internet. They must have figured out that they can't enroll new people in Sentri and process 80,000 + renewals every two years.

It is my belief that the intention is to get most everyone on Sentri in the future. I suspect in 10 years there will be more Sentri lanes than regular lanes. This is my reasoning:

* The US government can track who crosses, when they cross etc
* The US government has a background check on everyone crossing
* They can fit more cars through on Sentri than the regular lanes which allows the border to support more cars crossing each day
* Some people might say it's because of the fees... but I suspect they are losing money with the Sentri program. $129 would barely cover the equipment they place in your car not considering the costs of the Sentri office, computers, staff etc.

I actually believe they should put in place Sentri VIP which would cost something like $500 per year and only accept a certain number of enrollees to guarantee a very short wait at the border in a special lane. But of course this would be probably cause a riot because it would not be fair for everyone.

If you look at the U.S. Gov website about border entry it does state you need a D/L and birth certificate. I have crossed the otay border several times with people who tried to give only their D/L and were told they need a birth certificate as well. So don’t think it won’t happen and you are pressing your luck if you get a new agent who goes by the book. I attempted one time to pass only with a DL and was asked for my birth certificate so for me the passport is much easier.

#20 noyzsi

noyzsi
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

can anybody answer my question please i have a question every time u pass the sentri do they ask u questions if somebody has a bad record and if they live with u a friend of mine is going thru that right now his parents has the sentri if anybody can help me i would appreciated thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users