Jump to content


Photo

Manzanilla


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tcat

Tcat

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 167 posts
  • Location:Digital Nomad

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:26 PM

If you are looking for a really fine dining experience check out Mananilla
@ 122 Avenida Riveroll ..... about 1/2 block east of Ave. Lopez Mateos (tourist strip)

It was not expensive and really really memorable...

I'm thinking as soon as I settle in Otay the round trip on ABC is less than $15 and worth the 1.5 hour ride to eat there...

#2 Ekdogg

Ekdogg
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:56 AM

What kind of food do they serve? Mexican?

Have you ever been to El Rey Sol at 1000 López Mateo? It's one of my favorites. Here's some info I gleaned from a web site:

Mexico's oldest French restaurant prides itself on a diverse menu, professional staff and sophisticated atmosphere.

A refined haven off bustling Lopez Mateos that flirts with gaudiness. From portraits of French royalty to a dining room rich with maroon walls, gold chandeliers and fleur de lis everything, the focus is decidedly French. Beamed ceilings, highly professional staff and a piano player tinking away the likes of "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes" add to the sophisticated--but certainly not understated--atmosphere.

The extensive French menu includes seafood, chicken, steak and a few traditional Mexican dishes. Notable starters include an avocado stuffed with sweet, shredded crabmeat and velvety smoked salmon sprinkled with olive oil. A Caesar salad for two is prepared tableside, with thick homemade dressing, abundant parmesan and oversized croutons. Entrees include Tournedos Henry IV, tender bacon-wrapped bits of filet topped with béarnaise sauce. Stuffed gulf shrimp are rich but slightly fishy, with crabmeat, mushrooms and heavy cheese. Dessert includes a tempting array of French pastries.

#3 JimLane

JimLane
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Mountain and road bikes, belly dancing, sci-fi and wine

Posted 05 February 2006 - 09:21 AM

I wrote this place up on sdnet.eats a couple of years ago. The best steak I have had from either side of the border. They added tax to the tab, but tax is supposed to be in the price of the meals. They also overcharged us for the wine we had.

Watch out for this practice.


jim
somewhere between San Diego and Ensenada

#4 Ekdogg

Ekdogg
  • Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

Their prime rib is "to die for." I'm surprised to hear about the overcharging. I've never experienced that in the half a dozen times I've eaten there over the years.

#5 Tcat

Tcat

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 167 posts
  • Location:Digital Nomad

Posted 11 March 2006 - 06:26 PM

Ekgogg, sorry I didn't find your reply til today...

I cannot put a specific region on the food. I would say French but really more Fusion.... Working with what they got.

If I had person I wanted to marry, I would propose here. Does that say it all?
Wonderful, 1st rate, and not a bank draining experience... All in all, quite a memory. I got the tip from an Egullet person if that helps....

Tcat

#6 Ryu

Ryu

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

great dining suggestions, thanks all, will try and report back on the experience.

#7 JimLane

JimLane
  • Members
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Mountain and road bikes, belly dancing, sci-fi and wine

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:47 AM

Edogg,

I guess the lesson is to ALWAYS check your bill. I do know they added tax and one of the businesmen asked them specifically about it when we were paying. That person's family owns Casamar, so he does know what the pratice should be vis-a-vis tax. He was also the one who realized we had been overcharged on the wine. It was not my call.


jim
somewhere between San Diego and Ensenada

#8 Ryu

Ryu

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

You know, I'm an idiot, I just notice this is in Ensenada. I've been asking all my friends here, have you been to Manzinilla and El rey del Sol and been getting strange looks. laugh.gif

#9 TJDave

TJDave

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 489 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ocean Beach... (San Diego)

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

(Ryu)
You know, I'm an idiot


You just found this out??? laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

J/K.... that one was way too easy Ryu...

#10 Ryu

Ryu

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Guilty as charged. I've really have to get out of Tijuana sometimes.

#11 Tcat

Tcat

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 167 posts
  • Location:Digital Nomad

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Take the ABC bus for $15 Round Trip. They are NOT open on days like monday-wed. seems like 4 days a week for about 12 hrs per day or so...

Still get all mouth watering and teary eyed when I think about that place....

#12 mikethedog

mikethedog
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Location:Mexicali

Posted 25 May 2006 - 12:00 AM

Manzanilla Restaurant and Viñas Pijoan wines are hosting this wine tasting during the "Fiestas de la Vendimia" on Friday, August 18th:


20:00 Hrs. ENCUENTRO VIÑAS PIJOAN-MANZANILLA / VIÑAS PIJOAN - MANZANILLA ENCOUNTER
Degustación de Vinos Pijoan con tapas del Restaurante Manzanilla / Tasting of Pijoan Wines with tapas from Manzanilla Restaurant
DÓNDE / WHERE: Restaurante Manzanilla, Ensenada, B.C.
ORGANIZADOR / SPONSOR: Viñas Pijoan y Restaurante Manzanilla
COSTO / COST: $500.00 M.N. / $45.00 Dlls.

#13 Tcat

Tcat

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 167 posts
  • Location:Digital Nomad

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:04 AM

OH.... I wonder if they are taking reservations? It is Not a large place.... Special, si. Grande? no.

#14 mikethedog

mikethedog
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Location:Mexicali

Posted 25 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

(Tcat)
OH.... I wonder if they are taking reservations? It is Not a large place.... Special, si. Grande? no.

No reservations for this special event. If you want to attend you have to buy a ticket.
mike

#15 Tcat

Tcat

    Valued Contributor

  • Advanced Member
  • 167 posts
  • Location:Digital Nomad

Posted 30 June 2006 - 02:37 AM

Chatted with the major players... No I am not going to the EVENT as they are "just plating" the event. The winery is the sponser...

I'll be doing my 3rd visit in as many weeks on wed. Helping them put a recipe book (full color/hard cover) together... Took pictures of them buying for the day (they don't use a freezer) last wed...

All I can say is if you are in that part of MX, well worth the trip.... My nephew is another "foodie". Amazing time... really.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users