In a Hurry: Need to Find a Place in TJ or Rosarito ASAP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Inglourious Basterd

Inglourious Basterd
  • Advanced Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

I'm thinking about making a big change for the new year by moving to Tijuana. I've been living in San Diego for 15 years. I've spent all that time living in the same apartment unit (I can prove it, I have references), so I am stable in that regard.

Quite frankly, the idea of moving to Mexico turns me into a nervous Nellie, but it is something I have always wanted to do, and so I thought I'd try living in Tijuana at least for 6 months or so.

Before I forget, let me say that I don't drink or drug. And so it is not, I repeat NOT, important for me to live close to bars.

I really need help in finding a safe place to live ASAP.

I'm not the type who likes to accept a handout. I would pay you a finders fee if you could provide me with the name and telephone number of a trustworthy apartment manager who currently has a unit for rent.

How does a $50 finders fee sound? I could pay you through PayPal or I could pay you in person at a coffee shop.

I know it's not a perfect world, but here are some things that I'm looking for in an apartment complex or house:

1) Steel bars on the windows.

2) Other Americans would be living close by, a virtual community of Americans, all of who would be watching out for each others personal property, or in other words, a true-blue Neighborhood Watch type mindset that is in place.

3) A studio or a one or two bedroom would be fine as would a house.

4) I'd prefer to keep the price down, down as far as possible, say around $200/$300 a month though I might pay more depending on the circumstances.

5) Living near the University in Otay is appealing to me as I will be doing a lot of work on a daily basis, work that is related to the Internet.

6) It's within walking distance to a supermarket.

7) It's in a SAFE area.

I don't speak good Spanish, I barely speak the language. I don't have a car, I use public transportation to get around San Diego.

If you care to contact me directly, then please email me at I.Luv.Enchiladas@gmail.com and I'll be sure to get back to you. I'll include my telephone number in an email.

Again, I'd be willing to pay you a $50 finders fee if you can hook me up with a place that matches the five, six or seven points of criteria listed above (point #5, living in Otay, is not a must, and point #6 may not be easy to meet). Payment would be contingent on me moving into an apartment unit that you refer me to.

Time is of the essence: This offer ends approximately 5 days from now.

Sincerely,
Inglourious Basterd

#2 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

You will find that anywhere there is a concentration of Americans that spells HIGHER PRICES. So if you expect to live like an American here in Mexico then you should expect to pay more $$$ for everything if you plan to shop in Costco, Walmart or any American-owned store which is always more expensive. From my experience living in both TJ and Rosarito, just because you are around Americans doesn't mean you look out for each other. I've had more success with Mexicans helping rather than Americans. Seems many of them want to be isolated from everyone else esp. if they don't speak Spanish. Since you don't speak Spanish you'll be limited to finding rentals on Craigslist which are usually more expensive. You really need to be over here to find something suitable; I would plan on $300 mth as anything below that will be questionable.

QUOTE (Inglourious Basterd @ Jan 5 2013, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking about making a big change for the new year by moving to Tijuana. I've been living in San Diego for 15 years. I've spent all that time living in the same apartment unit (I can prove it, I have references), so I am stable in that regard.

Quite frankly, the idea of moving to Mexico turns me into a nervous Nellie, but it is something I have always wanted to do, and so I thought I'd try living in Tijuana at least for 6 months or so.

Before I forget, let me say that I don't drink or drug. And so it is not, I repeat NOT, important for me to live close to bars.

I really need help in finding a safe place to live ASAP.

I'm not the type who likes to accept a handout. I would pay you a finders fee if you could provide me with the name and telephone number of a trustworthy apartment manager who currently has a unit for rent.

How does a $50 finders fee sound? I could pay you through PayPal or I could pay you in person at a coffee shop.

I know it's not a perfect world, but here are some things that I'm looking for in an apartment complex or house:

1) Steel bars on the windows.

2) Other Americans would be living close by, a virtual community of Americans, all of who would be watching out for each others personal property, or in other words, a true-blue Neighborhood Watch type mindset that is in place.

3) A studio or a one or two bedroom would be fine as would a house.

4) I'd prefer to keep the price down, down as far as possible, say around $200/$300 a month though I might pay more depending on the circumstances.

5) Living near the University in Otay is appealing to me as I will be doing a lot of work on a daily basis, work that is related to the Internet.

6) It's within walking distance to a supermarket.

7) It's in a SAFE area.

I don't speak good Spanish, I barely speak the language. I don't have a car, I use public transportation to get around San Diego.

If you care to contact me directly, then please email me at I.Luv.Enchiladas@gmail.com and I'll be sure to get back to you. I'll include my telephone number in an email.

Again, I'd be willing to pay you a $50 finders fee if you can hook me up with a place that matches the five, six or seven points of criteria listed above (point #5, living in Otay, is not a must, and point #6 may not be easy to meet). Payment would be contingent on me moving into an apartment unit that you refer me to.

Time is of the essence: This offer ends approximately 5 days from now.

Sincerely,
Inglourious Basterd

#3 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Tijuana doesn't really seem to have "american" neighborhoods. Though you tend to find more in places like Playas de Tijuana and Zona Rio. The farther east, the less English is spoken. I like zona rio because it is central to a lot of things, close to the border and has a lot of transportation. Playas is more relaxed, but with no car it could feel a little distant.
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#4 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (Cyanide41 @ Jan 7 2013, 02:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tijuana doesn't really seem to have "american" neighborhoods. Though you tend to find more in places like Playas de Tijuana and Zona Rio. The farther east, the less English is spoken. I like zona rio because it is central to a lot of things, close to the border and has a lot of transportation. Playas is more relaxed, but with no car it could feel a little distant.

I agree with Cy. I did not care for Playas when I lived there but I cross 5 or 6 times a week so traffic and timing were a pain plus I am not really a beach person. I have been in Zona Rio for 3 years now and I love it for my commute to SD and all the things I can get too walking or a quick cab ride. If I did not have to cross everyday I would consider Playas but it is still far from the action that can be found in Zona Rio if you are into that.

#5 Inglourious Basterd

Inglourious Basterd
  • Advanced Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:23 AM

My final days in San Diego were days that were filled with a lot of pressure. My departure from that great city was made in haste. My back was up against the wall on the day that I started this thread. I had a lot of time to find a new residence but ultimately I waited too late to start looking for a new place to live. I found a rental in Tijuana, in the Otay area. There are a lot of homeless dogs that roam free in my new neighborhood. I do a lot of walking, I'm in pedestrian mode on a regular basis. I hope I don't get bit by a dog. Getting bit by a dog is something that concerns me every time I set out on a walk. I should probably pick up a can of pepper spray when I go back to the U.S. My neighbor said "In Tijuana, there are more taxicabs than there are people." In my mind, other than taxicabs, the dogs outnumber humans, too. Well, sort of. All in all, when I stop and think about it I can't believe I actually went ahead and made the leap. But I did. I'd like to thank Mary Ellen, Cyanide41, and HK70 for responding to my post.

#6 Chamaco

Chamaco
  • Advanced Member
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, staying fit, and occasionally golfing (yea, getting old)

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to Tijuana, Mexico! I'm doing the opposite as you. My move is in extremely slow motion. Bought a house at the end of December, having additional work done on it before I slowing start furnishing it. As of now, my total furnishings consist of a welcome mat at the front door, and three rolls of toilet paper. Oh, and a small wine rack (no wine in it yet).

Not long after buying the house, I was inside with a contractor going over the work to be done (with the front door open) when a dog wandered into the house. He was pretty friendly though. I kinda like the free-roaming dogs. Reminds me of the more open and free society of my childhood many years ago in small town America.

#7 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:53 PM

I'll be doing the same thing pretty soon. I also do a lot of walking, and would like to find a place within a 10 minute walk from the border. Can anyone give me any area suggestions?

#8 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (tijuanahopeful @ Mar 27 2013, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll be doing the same thing pretty soon. I also do a lot of walking, and would like to find a place within a 10 minute walk from the border. Can anyone give me any area suggestions?

If you are talking SY border then there are a bunch of apartments about 10-15 minute walk to the border. Just walk around the area past Plaza Pueblo Amigo and there are plenty of apartments that can range from $300 up to $700 a month. Many of the buildings hang signs with the phone number to call to rent or see the apartments but you may have to speak some Spanish.

#9 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

I don't want to live in an apartment unless I'm forced to. I'm really looking for a cottage or duplex, so I'll probably have to look further away from the border.

#10 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

QUOTE (tijuanahopeful @ Mar 27 2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to live in an apartment unless I'm forced to. I'm really looking for a cottage or duplex, so I'll probably have to look further away from the border.

Mmmm I don't think you will find either but good luck in your search.

#11 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

I know for a fact that there are one and two bedroom houses and duplexes. I have a friend that has a one bedroom house in Rosarito, and I've seen them advertised on Craigslist. But I plan to go look fr a place in person this summer.

#12 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (tijuanahopeful @ Mar 27 2013, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know for a fact that there are one and two bedroom houses and duplexes. I have a friend that has a one bedroom house in Rosarito, and I've seen them advertised on Craigslist. But I plan to go look fr a place in person this summer.

Yes but not that close to the border to be walking distance.

#13 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 12:46 AM

Being close to the border is my preference, but it's not essential. I can drive across the border which I'll be doing anyway. I just don't drive every day, since I only work part-time. I may just get an apartment at first, and look for a house later. I just have to make sure that whatever I get allows pets, since I have two cats.

#14 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (tijuanahopeful @ Mar 28 2013, 01:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Being close to the border is my preference, but it's not essential. I can drive across the border which I'll be doing anyway. I just don't drive every day, since I only work part-time. I may just get an apartment at first, and look for a house later. I just have to make sure that whatever I get allows pets, since I have two cats.

Are you aware that Rosarito is an additional 30 minute drive by car from the border and 1 hour+ if using public transport. Also renting a house can be a big hassle when it comes to utilities and repairs esp. if you don't speak Spanish. What do you plan to do if the house needs repairs as many times that is not in the rental agreement which means you would spend extra $$$. That's why most Americans live either in gated communities or apartments as most don't speak Spanish so you need to consider that. Also cats are not well liked in Mexico so your cats might be safer if they are contained in an apartment. Many people reports their cats being poisoned esp. if they are outside. You need to visit the area for a couple of days in order to find something unless you plan to pay more $$$ by finding something on Craigslist which is usually more expensive. Mexico is not the type of place where you can find something quickly on the internet and move in so you need to look around to find something.

#15 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:10 PM

Are you aware that Rosarito is an additional 30 minute drive by car from the border and 1 hour+ if using public transport. I have no reason to go to Rosarito, and don't recall every posting anything about it, plus I'm not interested in living there. I still have to work, and it's too far from the border. Also renting a house can be a big hassle when it comes to utilities and repairs esp. if you don't speak Spanish. I used very basic Spanish in my last office job, and also had a Spanish/English dictionary, which worked out well.What do you plan to do if the house needs repairs as many times that is not in the rental agreement which means you would spend extra $$$. That's why most Americans live either in gated communities or apartments as most don't speak Spanish so you need to consider that. As for getting a house, I decided it would be best just to get an apartment close to the border, and consider a duplex or cottage at a later date (over a year).

Also cats are not well liked in Mexico so your cats might be safer if they are contained in an apartment. Many people reports their cats being poisoned esp. if they are outside. My cats are house cats, and never go outside. They were stray cats at one time, and have no desire to ever go outside again, except for looking out the window. Both of them are microchipped, plus wear collars with tags containing their name, and my name and phone number, plus their microchip tag.

You need to visit the area for a couple of days in order to find something unless you plan to pay more $$$ by finding something on Craigslist which is usually more expensive. Mexico is not the type of place where you can find something quickly on the internet and move in so you need to look around to find something. I plan to visit and look for a place, but can't right now. I'll be doing that in May or June. When my money hits the bank, I'll be applying for my Sentri pass, so I'll be doing that in advance, because I know it takes a while to get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users