• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:18 AM

In the beginning my MagicJack worked great. But after months of good reception it developed problems I can't correct. (They persist even after replacing the dingle, as I believe the hardware is called.) Some of those I know using MagicJack have similar problems; for others MagicJack works well.

I've heard good things about Ooma. But I don't want to spend $200.00 for the unit and $3.50+ monthly for the service. Nor do I want the monthly fee that Vontage charges.

I recently heard of a VoIP Internet telephone device (at NetTalk dot com) called the Duo. It's similar to MagicJack, but is called the Duo because you can use it with a USB port or plug it into a router. The Duo sells for $70.00 for the unit with one year of service; thereafter service is $30.00 per year. It's small and portable like the MagicJack (and unlike Ooma and Vontage). Unlike MagicJack (and like Ooma and Votage) it doesn't require a booted computer to work.

I'm still trying to get information about the quality of the calls. If anybody knows anything about NetTalks' Duo I'd appreciate their sharing what they know.

#2 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

get it! and tell us how it works! smile.gif
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#3 mungoanne

mungoanne
  • Advanced Member
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE (Daniel @ Sep 13 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the beginning my MagicJack worked great. But after months of good reception it developed problems I can't correct. (They persist even after replacing the dingle, as I believe the hardware is called.) Some of those I know using MagicJack have similar problems; for others MagicJack works well.

I've heard good things about Ooma. But I don't want to spend $200.00 for the unit and $3.50+ monthly for the service. Nor do I want the monthly fee that Vontage charges.

I recently heard of a VoIP Internet telephone device (at NetTalk dot com) called the Duo. It's similar to MagicJack, but is called the Duo because you can use it with a USB port or plug it into a router. The Duo sells for $70.00 for the unit with one year of service; thereafter service is $30.00 per year. It's small and portable like the MagicJack (and unlike Ooma and Vontage). Unlike MagicJack (and like Ooma and Votage) it doesn't require a booted computer to work.

I'm still trying to get information about the quality of the calls. If anybody knows anything about NetTalks' Duo I'd appreciate their sharing what they know.

I have had Vonage since 02/06.......great transmision inbound and outbound, clarity etc. .......call center in India but I fnally got a USA # and avoid India now. Month 25$ plus tax 60 countries unlimied. I have a fax line, toll free #. Other options but not of interest to me.

#4 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (mungoanne @ Sep 14 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have had Vonage since 02/06.......great transmision inbound and outbound, clarity etc. .......call center in India but I fnally got a USA # and avoid India now. Month 25$ plus tax 60 countries unlimied. I have a fax line, toll free #. Other options but not of interest to me.

Is Mexico one of those 60 contries?
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#5 Scooby

Scooby

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Cyanide41 @ Sep 14 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Mexico one of those 60 contries?

That's a good question being that Mexico's phone rates really suck.

I had MJ before which had disappointed me on various levels. You can search my previous posts for details.

Skype has kept me happy for the most part for at least 5 years whether I'm in the US, MX, or traveling abroad. .

For Mexico calling, a special $7/month subscription gets you unlimited calls to landlines in Guadalajara, Mexico City, & Monterrey (3 main cities only) and everywhere else in MX is .03 and .15 usd for landline & cellular respectively.

Without a monthly subscription, it cost a little more depending:
.02-.04/.11/.34 per minute for the 3 main cities,landline, & cellular respectively

$3/mo for a phone # allows me a discount rate of $3/mo for unlimited calling to the US & Canada from anywhere.

So I pay $6/mo or $72 /yr without special MX calling rates. I'm considering cancelling the MX subscription since it's not used enough to justify the costs. Of course, all inside-the-network calls are free (i.e. Skype to Skype).

I can answer calls either on my handset or online.

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/

Gosh, I wish I got paid for this. biggrin.gif

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:35 AM

I don't think anybody offers a good calling plan to Mexican cell phones. (Landlines yes, cell phones no.) Because of all the taxes related to Mexican cell phones you always pay through the nose when calling a Mexican cell phone.

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:39 AM

Vontage has good service, but it's $25.00 a month. Ooma has as good--if not better--call quality for about $3.50 per month, after spending $200.00 for the hardware. Although both have good call quality, I don't consider either to be a bargain. Nor are either especially portable.

The DUO looks promising. It's $30.00 per year--about what Vontage wants for a single month--and it's about the size of a deck of cards.

#8 Bob Y

Bob Y
  • Advanced Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 08:27 AM

Hi, I spent a lot of hours reading posts about ViOP service and the best feedback was on Callcentric. You can get a device for your router (affordable) and bypass your computer. That means it doesn't have to be on (unlike Skype - not that Skype's bad, of course).

There are very detailed instructions on how to do this online.

You can use a regular phone that way. The only problem I've had is that there's some latency (just enough delay that you have to be aware of it so you don't talk over the other person). That might be fixable, but I haven't looked into it. There are all sorts of technical adjustments one can make that are over my head.

I'm on the 2MB Multicable plan and they haven't been squeezing the bandwidth so far. I know there were complaints in the past and some providers try to discourage VoIP and the like. So far so good. Sound quality has been great. Just can't use the phone and play Pandora at the same time. Maybe with more bandwidth. We've had it for over a month and used it quite a bit.

Enjoy,

Bob

#9 Scooby

Scooby

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Bob Y @ Jan 11 2011, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, I spent a lot of hours reading posts about ViOP service and the best feedback was on Callcentric. You can get a device for your router (affordable) and bypass your computer. That means it doesn't have to be on (unlike Skype - not that Skype's bad, of course).

There are very detailed instructions on how to do this online.

You can use a regular phone that way. The only problem I've had is that there's some latency (just enough delay that you have to be aware of it so you don't talk over the other person). That might be fixable, but I haven't looked into it. There are all sorts of technical adjustments one can make that are over my head.

I'm on the 2MB Multicable plan and they haven't been squeezing the bandwidth so far. I know there were complaints in the past and some providers try to discourage VoIP and the like. So far so good. Sound quality has been great. Just can't use the phone and play Pandora at the same time. Maybe with more bandwidth. We've had it for over a month and used it quite a bit.

This isn't accurate about Skype requiring the computer to be on.
I've been using one of their router-connected cordless handsets for 5 years.

I wasn't able to find on the Callcentric website if they sold a router device for a handset and if so, what is the cost.

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (Bob Y @ Jan 11 2011, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spent a lot of hours reading posts about ViOP service and the best feedback was on Callcentric.
Perhaps. I've read Ooma is best.

The problem for me is the cost. For little more than one month with Callcentric I can get a year's service with Magic Jack; two months will get me a year's service with Ooma.

QUOTE (Bob Y @ Jan 11 2011, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only problem I've had is that there's some latency (just enough delay that you have to be aware of it so you don't talk over the other person).
For me that's a HUGE reason not to use Callcedntric. Especially since it's not a problem with MagicJack, NetTalk or Ooma, all of which are available for a much lower monthly fee.

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

I've now used the NetTalk Duo for over 6 months. Since my subscription is nearing its end I experimented with the MagicJack Plus. (The get the Duo to work I had to configure it so that I press 1 to answer a call. That's not what I want.)

I have problems with the MagicJack Plus. I had a problem with it freezing so that I had to unplug the phone from the MagicJack Plus, wait a minute, then plug it back into the MagicJack Plus. Not good. Plus the sound quality wasn't as good as that provided by the NetTalk Duo. So I'm sticking with the Duo and returning the MagicJack Plus.

There are two problems I've seen with the NetTalk Duo. One is the Duo only works with certain routers. The other is that it's takes some work to get the Duo to work with Google Voice.

Here's a link to the NetTalk forum that discusses which routers work with the Duo. I'll post the initial list in case the thread disappears.

List of Routers what work WELL with the DUO/Tk6000
1. Linksys WRT54G or WRT54G2 (DD-WRT Compatible)
2. Linksys WRT160N
3. Linksys E1000/2000
4. Linksys RTP300
5. Linksys WRT54GL (DD-WRT Compatible)
6. Linksys WRT320N (w/ Firmware Ver: 1.0.04)
7. Uverse 2Wire 3800hgv-b
8. D-Link Gamerlounge DGL-4500
9. Dlink DIR-524
10. AirPort Extreme (by Apple)
11. Trendnet TEW-635BRM 3-in-1 combo (DLS modem/router/wireless N) firmware v1.00.09
12. Trendnet TW100-S4W1CA
13. Trendnet TEW-652brp
14. Airlink 101 AR670W
15. Airlink 325
16. Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway CG81-4WG v2
17. Netgear WGT624 V3
18. Netgear DG834GT Wireless Router
19. Netgear RangeMax WPN824.v2
20. Netgear WGR614 ( v4, v9)
21. Netgear WNDR37AV (latest FW)
22. Netgear WNDR3700 RangeMax (tested with firmware 1.0.4.55NA)
23. Netgear FR114P
24. EnGenius 802.11n Wireless Broadband Router
25. Westell A90-750015-07 (Verizon branded, adsl modem/wireless router, software ver: 5.01.00.02, config 096-900186-00A)

Note: It appears that routers using DD-WRT firmware work well with the NetTalk Duo. That may be useful information as new routers come to market.

List of routers that have BAD performance with the DUO/Tk6000
1. Belkin Routers (Cause 1 way voice with VOIP systems - Just about every model)
2. DLink DIR-655 (may work via DMZ/DNS/SIP ALG/DNS Relay, otherwise no SIP access)
3. Embarq 660 (Modem): Works in bridge mode
4. Linksys WRT54GX4
5. Netgear WNR Series (WNR1000 may work by upgrading FW /WNR2000v1 works by rolling back firmware to 1.1.3.9)
6. Dlink DIR-615 (works by upgrading to latest Firmware + putting TK6000 IP on DMZ)
7. Motorola 2 in 1 Modem/router (Motorola 3347. This is a Netopia modem).
8. Ambit Cable Modem Gateway (Modem/Router)

Here's a link to the NetTalk forum that discusses getting the Duo to work with Google Voice: https://forum.nettal...31a32f49928dc45 Here are the steps I took to get the NetTalk Duo to work with Google Voice:

Sign on to the Gmail account associated with the Google voice number.
Click on the e-mail account name in the upper right part of the screen.
Click on account settings.
Click on Voice in the lower center part of the screen.
Click on the phone number located in the left column of the screen.
(You want the phone tab if options appear.)
(I did not enable forward calls to Google Chat.)
Find the NetTalk Duo number. For the NetTalk Duo number I used these settings:
Do not activate “Receive text messages on this phone.”
Do not activate “Notify me of new voicemails via text.”
Take the steps so that the NetTalk Duo number says “Activate Google voicemail on this phone.” In other words you want voicemail deactivated on the NetTalk Duo number.
Click on Edit.
For phone type select mobile.
Make the Carrier option say “N/A”
For advanced options:
Select “no” for Voicemail Access”
Make the selections of your choice for Ring Schedule.
For “Forwarding Options” select “Ring my other phones before going to voicemail.”
Click on the tab that says “Calls.”
If you are having trouble getting the NetTalk Duo to work with Google Voice then for “Call Screening: select “On. Announces caller and lets you listen as caller leaves a message”
On “Call Screening” I did not activate “Ask unknown caller to say their name.”
For “Caller ID incoming” select “Display Caller’s Number.”
For “Caller ID outgoing” select “Do not change anything.”
I did not enable any of the “Do Not Disturb” options.
I did not enable any of the “Missed Calls” options.
I enabled “Call Options – Enable Recording (4)…”
I enabled “Global Spam Filtering.”
Save and exit.

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 256 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

The short version is that the NetTalk Duo works better than either the MagicJack or the MagicJack Plus.

#13 jonerich

jonerich
  • Advanced Member
  • 112 posts
  • Location:Boynton Beach fl, Chicago il, San Clemente ca, Zona Rio mx, Bangkok TH
  • Interests:Surfing,Music,Movies,Computers,Travel,Food.

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

If you really want to go cheap charlie The sony mylo is the way to go fits in your pocket its old but as far as skype goes all you need is wifi and you can make calls anywhere. Now i just use it at home because ive hacked a iphone to tmobile with the skype app i get unlimited data and no need for the wifi hotspot. You can use google voice as well free calls and free number in any area code.

Sony mylo
Happiness in Intelligent People is the Rarest thing I know. (Ernest Hemingway)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users