I want to move to Tijuana

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Savytraveler

Savytraveler
  • Advanced Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:16 AM

Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot of the posts on this website and I think you all have very interesting experiences. I am looking to move to tijuana because I have been laid off from my job and would like to find a more affordable place to stay. I do not know TJ very well. I have gone several times but only to go clubbing in the Ave. Revolucion and have been to playas de tijuana. I would like to find a job in san diego or nearby tijuana and commute back and forth. Is this plan doable? I am a little hesitant and afraid to make the move after hearing what is going on in Tijuana. But, I really would like to live there.

I was born in Tijuana and moved to Los Angeles when I was five years old. I speak fluent spanish. Can someone recommend a good, relatively safe area where I can look for an apartment. Since I would be crossing to the states on a regular basis, somewhere near the border would be fine. I think I am going to look around this weekend. I had a friend who moved to playas de tijuana this past summer and only managed to live there for a month because he got scared after someone broke into his apartment and stole his tv and personal belongings. It so happened that it was his neighbor downstairs and some of his shady friends. They were cholos from the U.S. They were not local mexican residents. Do you notice that there are a lot of thug gangbangers from the U.S. down in Tijuana?

I would like to start a new chapter of my life in tijuana and hopefully meet a beautiful Mexican woman and settle down with. Do you think this is a good idea or should I just rough it out here in Los Angeles? I would really appreciate any input or answers to my questions.

Thank you.

#2 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Savytraveler @ Nov 17 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot of the posts on this website and I think you all have very interesting experiences. I am looking to move to tijuana because I have been laid off from my job and would like to find a more affordable place to stay. I do not know TJ very well. I have gone several times but only to go clubbing in the Ave. Revolucion and have been to playas de tijuana. I would like to find a job in san diego or nearby tijuana and commute back and forth. Is this plan doable? I am a little hesitant and afraid to make the move after hearing what is going on in Tijuana. But, I really would like to live there.

I was born in Tijuana and moved to Los Angeles when I was five years old. I speak fluent spanish. Can someone recommend a good, relatively safe area where I can look for an apartment. Since I would be crossing to the states on a regular basis, somewhere near the border would be fine. I think I am going to look around this weekend. I had a friend who moved to playas de tijuana this past summer and only managed to live there for a month because he got scared after someone broke into his apartment and stole his tv and personal belongings. It so happened that it was his neighbor downstairs and some of his shady friends. They were cholos from the U.S. They were not local mexican residents. Do you notice that there are a lot of thug gangbangers from the U.S. down in Tijuana?

I would like to start a new chapter of my life in tijuana and hopefully meet a beautiful Mexican woman and settle down with. Do you think this is a good idea or should I just rough it out here in Los Angeles? I would really appreciate any input or answers to my questions.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum

Well since i live in Colonia Independencia, i recommend it for a safe area, clean, park nearby, markets, laundry, i am on a hill(great view), and close to taxi service if you don't want to drive. Mexico is a great place to find your true love/wife. Tijuana is a starting place. Tijuana is not the best city in Mexico to live the rest of your life. But it's a great first step.

Get a sentri card, for low wait time with or without a car for crossing the border for work and supplies.

I love it here, it's so much easier to live. Food, Rent, Utilities and so on. There are alot of pluses, one that sticks out here, in the 4 million people plus city is, there is no street/highway/freeway rage. Seems the people here don't get all upset over lousy driver antics.

Tip: Make people here in TJ earn their trust, BIG TIME!

good luck.

#3 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Savytraveler @ Nov 17 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you notice that there are a lot of thug gangbangers from the U.S. down in Tijuana?

Many times, these guys have been in the US illegally since they were very young, and never got caught until they assumed a life of crime and went to jail. Upon their release they got deported. CA drops them off at the border and walks them to TJ. So TJ has a lot of US cholos living there. You usually see them downtown trying to use there English to rip of tourists. Playas is considered to be one of the nicer areas.
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#4 TJDave

TJDave

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 03:37 PM

I can confirm what Kenyo says about Independencia... I lived there for 2+ years and never had a problem or felt unsafe... and it was about 5 minutes to the border. I paid $350 per month for a very nice 2 bedroom apartment.

I also met and married a beautiful Mexican woman... (actually, she's the reason I moved to TJ). We currently live in San Diego, but we plan on moving to Acapulco in the future (her home town, and where we are constructing a house).

Good luck

#5 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

I recommend giving TJ a one year test run to see if you like it. It seems people either love it or hate it.

The biggest challenge will be the commute.

#6 Savytraveler

Savytraveler
  • Advanced Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (Keyno @ Nov 17 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Welcome to the forum

Well since i live in Colonia Independencia, i recommend it for a safe area, clean, park nearby, markets, laundry, i am on a hill(great view), and close to taxi service if you don't want to drive. Mexico is a great place to find your true love/wife. Tijuana is a starting place. Tijuana is not the best city in Mexico to live the rest of your life. But it's a great first step.

Get a sentri card, for low wait time with or without a car for crossing the border for work and supplies.

I love it here, it's so much easier to live. Food, Rent, Utilities and so on. There are alot of pluses, one that sticks out here, in the 4 million people plus city is, there is no street/highway/freeway rage. Seems the people here don't get all upset over lousy driver antics.

Tip: Make people here in TJ earn their trust, BIG TIME!

good luck.

Hi. Thanks for the information. I have to check out Colonia Independencia. How long have you been living in tijuana?

#7 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 250 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Savytraveler @ Nov 18 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi. Thanks for the information. I have to check out Colonia Independencia. How long have you been living in tijuana?

1 year next week, yippie!!!

#8 thevamp2173

thevamp2173
  • Banned
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (otayBill @ Nov 18 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I recommend giving TJ a one year test run to see if you like it. It seems people either love it or hate it.

The biggest challenge will be the commute.

Sounds interesting maybe I can give TJ a look no problem with commuting as long as you are not talking about heavy traffic blink.gif
Dentist Fort Myers | Denrtal Fort Myers

#9 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 07 December 2009 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (thevamp2173 @ Dec 7 2009, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds interesting maybe I can give TJ a look no problem with commuting as long as you are not talking about heavy traffic blink.gif

umm...... have you crossed the border lately?
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users