Sentri Application

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

Hi...I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask you durig the Sentri application interview? I have my interview in Oct and just trying to get an idea.
In regards to proof of residence, I have mortgage statements and utility bills under my dad's name. WIll that be okay?

#2 eclipse

eclipse
  • Advanced Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 16 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi...I was wondering what kind of questions do they ask you durig the Sentri application interview? I have my interview in Oct and just trying to get an idea.
In regards to proof of residence, I have mortgage statements and utility bills under my dad's name. WIll that be okay?

If you don't have your name on any of the utility bills, you might want to call ahead and ask what you should do. They might want a notarized statement from your dad that you live there, or you might need to come up with a rental agreement with your dad or something.

As far as questions, it was really basic - like if we'd ever been convicted of anything, if anyone else had asked us to apply for the card to bring things across the border for them, etc. Most of the time was taken up signing papers, taking pictures, fingerprinting, and waiting to pay. They got through my family (2 adults and three relatively uncooperative children) in about 15 minutes, then sent us to another desk to pay, then out to bring the cars around for inspection. It took a little while for the inspection, because it looked like they waited until 4 or 5 cars were ready, and my husband and I were the first people out there, so we had to wait for a couple more cars to pull up. The car inspection was easy, too - they make sure your plates match, look for anything that could be a hidden compartment, check the windshield for cracks, and that's about it.

#3 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (eclipse @ Sep 16 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't have your name on any of the utility bills, you might want to call ahead and ask what you should do. They might want a notarized statement from your dad that you live there, or you might need to come up with a rental agreement with your dad or something.

As far as questions, it was really basic - like if we'd ever been convicted of anything, if anyone else had asked us to apply for the card to bring things across the border for them, etc. Most of the time was taken up signing papers, taking pictures, fingerprinting, and waiting to pay. They got through my family (2 adults and three relatively uncooperative children) in about 15 minutes, then sent us to another desk to pay, then out to bring the cars around for inspection. It took a little while for the inspection, because it looked like they waited until 4 or 5 cars were ready, and my husband and I were the first people out there, so we had to wait for a couple more cars to pull up. The car inspection was easy, too - they make sure your plates match, look for anything that could be a hidden compartment, check the windshield for cracks, and that's about it.

Thanks!..why did they check the windshield for cracks? I have a crack in my windshield...will that prevent anything?

#4 Rosarito Gary

Rosarito Gary
  • Advanced Member
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Movies, beach, reading

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 16 2009, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks!..why did they check the windshield for cracks? I have a crack in my windshield...will that prevent anything?

Yes if you have a crack in windshield they will not put the sentri pass sticker on your car. You will have to put in new windshield then come back for another inspection. You will still get your sentri pass but cannot cross in that car until it is fixed.
Gary

#5 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (Rosarito Gary @ Sep 17 2009, 04:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes if you have a crack in windshield they will not put the sentri pass sticker on your car. You will have to put in new windshield then come back for another inspection. You will still get your sentri pass but cannot cross in that car until it is fixed.

REally????...even if it's a very small crack? I wonder why that is...

#6 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 17 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 1 cm crack on my windshield and it did not cause a problem.

#7 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

I sent my application on-line 3 days ago, but I haven't heard anything yet. How long does it take to process the app and get scheduled for an interview? Life will be so much easier if I can get approved blink.gif

#8 eclipse

eclipse
  • Advanced Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (C-Lo @ Sep 17 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I sent my application on-line 3 days ago, but I haven't heard anything yet. How long does it take to process the app and get scheduled for an interview? Life will be so much easier if I can get approved blink.gif

I think it took me about 5 business days to get my conditional approval, and a couple of days longer for my kids. They won't contact you, though - you need to log back in to look at your status.

#9 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 17 2009, 07:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it has to be smaller than a nickle. The do that because little crack can turn in to big cracks really quick. Get them fixed! My windshield had a small crack for about 2 years then one day, BAM! it jumped across the windshield
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#10 Rosarito Gary

Rosarito Gary
  • Advanced Member
  • 92 posts
  • Interests:Movies, beach, reading

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

Yes the crack has to be a certain size but if the crack looks like it will spread they will decline the car. Its worth fixing the crack. Because if you get approved and the crack increases they will pull the sticker off your windshield at the border. Then you have to get windshield fixed then make an appt with Sentri, etc.etc.....
It takes 5 or 6 days after applying to get response. You have to check computer for approval then make appt. Its all easy. After you get approval, it will tell you exactly what you have to bring with you for your interviw. Car title, registeration, copy of insurance. Forgot the rest but it will tell you.
Sentri is worth getting. Love it and cannot imagine not having it.

Gary

#11 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (eclipse @ Sep 17 2009, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it took me about 5 business days to get my conditional approval, and a couple of days longer for my kids. They won't contact you, though - you need to log back in to look at your status.

I didn't realize I had to submit a seperate app for my 3 year old. geez! are kids the same price as an adult?

#12 eclipse

eclipse
  • Advanced Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (C-Lo @ Sep 18 2009, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't realize I had to submit a seperate app for my 3 year old. geez! are kids the same price as an adult?

Yep, he needs a card, too. It's not the same price, but I can't remember how much it was. I almost want to say it didn't cost us extra (or was a very small amount) for the kids. I know we had to pay $25 each for them when we applied, but I think some of that was credited towards the adult Sentri passes when we paid.

#13 eclipse

eclipse
  • Advanced Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

QUOTE (eclipse @ Sep 18 2009, 07:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep, he needs a card, too. It's not the same price, but I can't remember how much it was. I almost want to say it didn't cost us extra (or was a very small amount) for the kids. I know we had to pay $25 each for them when we applied, but I think some of that was credited towards the adult Sentri passes when we paid.

Okay, I just checked, and it is $194.50 for a family pass, which wasn't any more than two adult passes, but I'm not sure how it works if you're only applying for one adult and one child. http://www.cbp.gov/x..._online_app.xml

You have to set up his own log in at the Sentri/goes site.

#14 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (eclipse @ Sep 18 2009, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, I just checked, and it is $194.50 for a family pass, which wasn't any more than two adult passes, but I'm not sure how it works if you're only applying for one adult and one child. http://www.cbp.gov/x..._online_app.xml

You have to set up his own log in at the Sentri/goes site.

Thank you so much! I guess I skipped that line wink.gif

#15 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your reply...it's has helped me a lot.

I have one more question, someone told me that there is a fee on the MX side to use the express line? Is this correct? On top of the 192.00 for the Sentri pass?

C-Lo, this is what I had to do...
I had to create GOES user accounts for both of my kids.
I signed on to each user id and applied for the Sentri pass, I only had to pay the 25.00 fee for myself.
I applied on Sat 09/12/09 and I received my conditional approval online on 09/15/09.
On 09/16/09, the website gave me an option to schedule the interview, I scheduled one for me and my kids.
I also had to call them to make sure my kids appt are set on the same time as mine.

Now I'm just waiting for the interview day.

I hope this helps.

#16 eclipse

eclipse
  • Advanced Member
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 18 2009, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone for your reply...it's has helped me a lot.

I have one more question, someone told me that there is a fee on the MX side to use the express line? Is this correct? On top of the 192.00 for the Sentri pass?

I've only ever crossed at the Otay Sentri lane, but there's no fee on the Mexican side to use that lane, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one in San Ysidro either.

#17 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE (eclipse @ Sep 18 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've only ever crossed at the Otay Sentri lane, but there's no fee on the Mexican side to use that lane, and I'm pretty sure there isn't one in San Ysidro either.

Ok thanks....I'm just concerned if I could get approved or not, we are waiting for my husband's visa and that's why we need the Sentri.

#18 AllenSmithee

AllenSmithee
  • Advanced Member
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:34 AM

QUOTE (Iminca @ Sep 18 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok thanks....I'm just concerned if I could get approved or not, we are waiting for my husband's visa and that's why we need the Sentri.

No fee on using the Sentri at any crossing. Enjoy your Sentri card! Totally worth it.

#19 Iminca

Iminca
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (AllenSmithee @ Sep 19 2009, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No fee on using the Sentri at any crossing. Enjoy your Sentri card! Totally worth it.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users