8 replies to this topic

#1 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

Who Knew?

• Advanced Member
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Music, Internet

Posted 30 May 2008 - 11:06 AM

Those of you who have spent time around me know how much I love to cook. In fact Cristina and I met in a cooking class in Tijuana years ago and it is something that we still love to share together with friends and family. Some of our favorite moments are spent with just the two of us making dinner together and eating out on the deck, taking in a classic Baja sunset. I have put together some simple yet tasty recipes that you can try. I even included my trademark Baja Fried Rice that I invented years ago...

Mexican Recipes for Gringos

They are short, easy to follow and you may even find LOVE in the kitchen as I did....

tongue.gif

Life is Too Short! Adventure Out, Take Risks, Explore, Dream & Discover...

#2 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

Interesting recipe for ceviche. I wondered how it was made.

That would be an impressive dish to make for people in the US. But I think they would be afraid to eat it. mellow.gif

#3 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:43 PM

Mexican's flavor thier rice a lot more than Asian's do. I quick and simple way of making Mexicanize rice is to add some powdered broth or the powdered stuff and a can of tomato sauce. If you want to go real fancy, throw in some frozen vegetable that you can buy in a pack. Wallah, Mexican rice. Now if you don't know how to cook rice then just go to youtube and I'm sure you'll find some video that will show you how to do it.

Bien vecho... I can't spell it but you know what I mean.

#4 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:49 PM

And Baja, those do look like recipes, I will need to try them out. But regarding fried rice, it's better to used old rice that's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Fresh rice has too much moisture. If you're rice is ever too dry, just throw some water in and it will get moise again. FYI, I just learn this a while ago but if you're potato chips ever get stale, if you throw them in the microwave half a minute or more, then get crispy again.... GENIUS!

Now if someone has a good personal recipe for Campechana, that I would love. There's this little seafood stall in a not so nice neighborhood that sells a great Campechana. It's better than any I have eaten in some of the more famous mariscos restuarants in TJ. I still can't reproduct what they make. If anyways, if you got a good one, please share. I promise it will make my dad and any other buddies I have very happy for years to come. I promise it will make me and my stomach very happy for years to come. Come to think of it, my wallet thinks it's a pretty awesome idea as well.

#5 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

Who Knew?

• Advanced Member
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (otayBill @ May 31 2008, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting recipe for ceviche. I wondered how it was made. That would be an impressive dish to make for people in the US. But I think they would be afraid to eat it. mellow.gif

I have served it many, many times and with positive results.

#6 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

Who Knew?

• Advanced Member
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Ryu @ Jun 1 2008, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But regarding fried rice, it's better to used old rice that's been sitting in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Fresh rice has too much moisture.

Actually, if you read the receipe I mentioned thaqt after cooking the rice to let it chill. What I have been doing lately is just buying the precooked rice they sell at Gigante, Calimax and Comercial Mexicana that is called Arroz Campesina. I haven't been able to discern a difference in taste from my own cooked rice. It saves a lot of time and hassle.

Cooking is fun and once you start you will find that it is not hard to acquire some falir in preparing and creating your own recipes. It has become a social thing with me and everybody hangs out in the kitchen while we are cooking. Try the fried rice recipe and let me know what you think. A friend told me recently that he didn't have all the ingredients to make the seasoning so he just used a packet of Lawry's Taco Seasoning instead and told me that it came out great! It's all good...

#7 sdc

sdc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

The one comment I have on this thread is be careful about taking cooking advice from Ryu..the guy lives off of ramen....
"What do you think this is Happy Days?"

#8 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:30 PM

QUOTE (sdc @ Jul 15 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The one comment I have on this thread is be careful about taking cooking advice from Ryu..the guy lives off of ramen....

Hey, that's Ramen and as Emeril would say, Bammed!!!

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

The link no longer works.  Too bad as I'd like some recipes for Mexican dishes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users