• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 CB

CB

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 03:21 AM

no se entiende la pregunta. hazlo en espanol.

#22 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:39 AM

If I understand your question, your friend's parents have Sentri and he has a bad record and wondering if this will cause them problems? A girl I work with, her parents were using a relative's address in the US and when they went to renew, their pass was taken away because the nephew was involved in some sort of illegal activity. The next year they used a different address and got the pass back. It doesn't really anwser the question but seems relavent.

#23 sejohn5764

sejohn5764
  • Advanced Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE (C-Lo @ Mar 2 2011, 11:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If I understand your question, your friend's parents have Sentri and he has a bad record and wondering if this will cause them problems? A girl I work with, her parents were using a relative's address in the US and when they went to renew, their pass was taken away because the nephew was involved in some sort of illegal activity. The next year they used a different address and got the pass back. It doesn't really anwser the question but seems relavent.

I got my Sentri pass with no problem. No questions were asked about my relatives although I am sure this is information they could easily obtain. All I can say is that the Sentri pass has been worth its weight in GOLD for us, absolutely worth every penny spent. As for questions when I cross, it varies, I have had the car inspected under the hood and a dog sniff inside the car, tires and trunk checked... more often though just general questions like what are you going into the US for or am I taking anything out of Mexico. I love my Sentril pass!

#24 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:22 AM

My Sentri expires 8/1. It has been 2 months now waiting for conditional approval for my renewal. I have friends who said it has taken approx 3 months to hear back on their application for Sentri. Just make sure that you apply for renewal well in advance of the Sentri termination date.

#25 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

So i feel somewhat like an idiot but things were not very clear to me when I applied at GOES. Today I called GOES and now things are clear. I will share it with you guys.

My Sentri expires 8/1/12 so on March 10th I applied for Sentri and Global Entry. I was charged $100 bucks. I assumed the $100 bucks was for Sentri. One of my friends had Sentri for over a year and he was contacted that he could add Global Entry without charge. In my application process the only reason I checked off Global Entry was I assumed it was free since I don't fly international I really did not need it. I thought Global Entry is expediated entrance from any country via airport. Sentri is for land crossings from Canada and Mexico. I was approved for Global Entry four days later on March 14th. I thought Sentri and Global Entry were two separate distinct programs. I was really only interested in Sentri so I set up an interview for Global Entry but I rescheduled it three times because I wanted my Sentri appointment first. Global Entry was not important to me. It has been almost four months and I had never recieved a conditional approval for my Sentri application which has been concerning me since I have approx a month until my Sentri expires.

Today I called GOES 1-866-530-4172 to understand why my Sentri has not been approved. Global Entry supersedes Sentri so if you get Global Entry you will be able to use it for Sentri as well. Since Global Entry is granting you access to the US from any country by air or land. I don't think this is explained clearly anywhere when I did my application process so I am sure I am not the only one that has been confused by this. I also saved myself $23 bucks by accident. Global Entry costs $100 and Sentri costs $123. Since I had checked off both when enrolling I was charged the $100 appliacation fee for Global Entry. If I had not checked Global Entry then you will be charged the $25 application fee for Sentri and then the $98 when you do your interview.

I have my appoitment on July 12 so if there is anything else of importance that comes up in the interview in regards to this situation I will post here. The guy on the phone did say to bring my car and the required paperwork since I will need to get a new transponder on my car.

#26 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:32 AM

So it sounds like the hierarchy is
1. GLOBAL CARD (By Air and By Land) - Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
2. SENTRI CAR (By Land) - Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
3. READY CARD (By Land) Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
4. Regular Lane- Wait 3 hours because the Federal government doesn’t have motivation to create more ports of entry and the guys that the
booth are slow and get paid by the hour.

"YO heart BC"

#27 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX @ Jun 29 2012, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it sounds like the hierarchy is
1. GLOBAL CARD (By Air and By Land) - Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
2. SENTRI CAR (By Land) - Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
3. READY CARD (By Land) Gets u thru this and all lanes below.
4. Regular Lane- Wait 3 hours because the Federal government doesn’t have motivation to create more ports of entry and the guys that the
booth are slow and get paid by the hour.

Good one, Maggiesmallz. Port of entry is really a joke. I love how you can whiz through into Mexico, but are treated like a potential terrorist when you want to get into your own country.

Thank god I finally got the Sentri card, although my husband can't. Remember, too, if there is a time you will walk across, the Sentri gets you to the front of the line.

#28 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

So I had my Global Entry interview yesterday. It said to only bring the letter along with your passport. I also brought a rent payment invoice showing my address, utility bill, pay stub, drivers lic, car insurance and car registration. They will mail the Global entry card in 7 days at which time you have to activate it. Then you can use your Global Entry card to cross in Sentri lanes and you then turn your old Sentri card into a agent. They put a little sticker in your passport book as well. Since my car already had the Sentri transponder there was no change to that nor did they even look at my car.

So if your Sentri is coming up for renewal I would be sure to check off Global Entry so that you only get charged $100 vs the Sentri cost of $124.

#29 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Global Entry now in SD Airport
Trusted travelers save time at customs inspection

by Alexandra Mendoza

July 31 2012

SAN DIEGO.- Thousands of users will save time in their customs declaration when they arrive to the San Diego airport, a benefit from the “Global Entry” Trusted Traveler Network.

Today, CBP officially introduced the automated self-service kiosks that travelers will use to “skip the waiting line” and speed up the identification process in international flights.

San Diego International Airport is the newest of 27 airports nationwide with Global Entry technology, according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

“Global Entry allows us to speed up the customs declaration of low risk travelers while our officers focus on the ones whose information we don’t know” stated Chris Maston,

director of CBP’s San Diego Field Office.

This entry port welcomes around 210,000 international travelers every year, a number that is expected to go up in 2012 as flights from Japan and a number of Mexican cities join the list of destination points.

“Our main goal is to improve the services offered to travelers” said Thella Bowens, President of the San Diego County Regional Airport during a press conference. “Thanks to this program, travelers will have more time to enjoy San Diego”.

The good news for the border community is that SENTRI holders qualify for the Global Entry program.

There are approximately 180,000 SENTRI card holders in the area.

Using the new program is very simple.

After arriving to the airport, identify the Global Entry kiosks. Program users can insert either their passport into a document reader. The system will then ask for their fingerprints for authentication.

Once this is done, the user will have his or her picture taken after which they will have to answer a number of questions to make their customs declaration. The system will issue a receipt which is to be presented to a CBP officer before leaving the inspection area.

The process takes less than 5 minutes.

The Global Entry fee is of $100 for a 5 year membership, while SENTRI users can register through the internet with no extra cost.

To apply, travelers must fill a form online and wait for an interview appointment, a process similar to the SENTRI card application.

“Global Entry” started as a pilot program in 2008 at the John F. Kennedy International in New York, the George Bush Intercontinental in Houston and the Washington Dulles International. Since then, travelers have used the kiosks approximately 2.7 million of times in over 20 airports.

alexandra.mendoza@sandiegored.com

http://www.sandiegor...-in-SD-Airport/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users