Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:54 AM

Anybody a fan?

#2 lacie333

• Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (bombero @ Dec 14 2012, 04:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody a fan?

dry.gif I started reading Maggie's Madness about 3 or so years ago. I hadn't been to Mexico in a long time, but then a friend of mine went for a visit. He was unable to come back. After living for 30 years in the states he was having a hard time adjusting. During my visits I noticed the newspapers had so much blood and gore about the current "drug war" so I googled the subject and found Maggie's Madness. I don't think I agree with her all of the time. I thought I was getting good information about Tijuana and safety. I was so curious about how a nation could be held hostage by such violence that I began to research the history of Mexico. Then a found a book by Ion Grillo...El Narco. It is a well written book about the drug war....not about sensationalizing the blood and gore. He has many many sources that I believe are valid. Now that I have read this book, I wonder what purpose Maggie's Madness serves. I also think about the crime in America and wonder what it must be like for a person to dwell on just the crime that happens. I think about Yo Soy 132, and I am hopeful that they will find a way to help their country to become more peaceful, I think about the families who have missing loved ones, and those who are innocent who have been killed in the crossfire of this bloody battle. I pray for the people of Mexico and I worry that America will also continue to grow more and more corrupt and violent. I am writing this just days after the Sandy Hook Elementary school shootings. I am a teacher at an elementary school. I use to teach at a middle school that was greatly impacted by gang activity. I stopped reading Maggie's Madness because it is so depressing. Sometimes I feel selfish for wanting to just focus on the good, the positive, and the joy. I think it is too late for that. What is Maggie's goal? What does relating all of the crime do to help? Where are the patriots of Mexico who will stand up and make the changes needed to create a Mexico that is for the people? I miss the days when I felt safe in Tijuana...the days when there wasn't such a scene at the border and the vendors were in abundance on Revolution....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users