Photo

What's the OFFICIAL passport requirement?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 08 June 2011 - 01:27 AM

A couple months ago my bother came to visit. As I dropped him off at the Otay crossing, I asked if he had everything, including his passport. His facial expression said it all. I asked if he had atleast a 2nd form of ID. All he had was a costco card. They let him cross with just his DL and didn't even mention anything too him. Your millage may vary.
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#22 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:25 AM

Otay strikes me as more lenient than Tijuana... since we're doing it tomorrow, I think Tijuana would have a much shorter line at around 2 p.m. on the way back. Hmph....

#23 bajashrink

bajashrink

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Klort @ Jun 8 2011, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay... here it is again... my friend has no passport and this thread's a couple years old... so... what's it like now if I tried to come across with a friend who has no passport? It's a different friend this time smile.gif

For crossing at the port of entry on foot, there's a special lane now for U.S. citizens without proof of citizenship.

For crossing by vehicle, a trip to secondary for clearance is at the descretion of the primary inspector.

#24 mrsports

mrsports
  • Advanced Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:07 AM

I'm guessing your friend is a US citizen. If so he only needs a DL, but the line moves very slow for those that have no passport.

#25 Daniel

Daniel

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Klort @ Jun 7 2011, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Otay strikes me as more lenient than Tijuana...
My experience is Otay is staffed by "cowboys." I've had more problems with CBP searching the trunk, encountered more petty tyrants, etc. at Otay than at San Ysidro.

#26 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:30 PM

I agree with the above post. I hate going through Otay. They always cop an attitude, and never take jokes kindly.

In San Ysidro, I've never had a problem, even when sent to secondary, and ever wheni joke around with them.

One time i was bringing back a case of Coka Cola (in bottles) for my mom. Cuz she loves that stuff. So anyway, they ask if i had anything to declare. I said "yeah i got a case of Mexican Coke in the trunk". They got a chuckle out of that and just double checked their doubts. That was at Say Ysidro.

I don't think that will fly well at Otay.

#27 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:07 PM

Great.. I also realized it would apply to me since my passport is still in the Saudi consulate waiting for the visa... so neither one of us has a pas.. oh, wait... I have that passport card... perfect. Wasn't thinking here.

#28 falcon04

falcon04
  • Advanced Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

Is it really that easy? I used to live in Washington, and my roommate and his best friend crossed the Canadian border without passports a couple of years ago and they were detained for 3 hours or so when they came back into the US. I don't remember how they got released, but they were told not to leave the country again without a passport.

#29 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

I hear a rumor tha the new platstic passports have a GPS tracking chip....

#30 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (Buen Amigo @ Jun 13 2011, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with the above post. I hate going through Otay. They always cop an attitude, and never take jokes kindly.

In San Ysidro, I've never had a problem, even when sent to secondary, and ever wheni joke around with them.

One time i was bringing back a case of Coka Cola (in bottles) for my mom. Cuz she loves that stuff. So anyway, they ask if i had anything to declare. I said "yeah i got a case of Mexican Coke in the trunk". They got a chuckle out of that and just double checked their doubts. That was at Say Ysidro.

I don't think that will fly well at Otay.

At Otay I once told them I was bring 5 beers. The guys says "What happened to the 6th? One for the Road?"

#31 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (C-Lo @ Jul 11 2011, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hear a rumor tha the new platstic passports have a GPS tracking chip....

Are you referring to the cards? They have an RFID chip in them, but so do Sentri cards, military ID's and many state's Driver's licenses.

#32 C-Lo

C-Lo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

QUOTE (Cyanide41 @ Jul 11 2011, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are you referring to the cards? They have an RFID chip in them, but so do Sentri cards, military ID's and many state's Driver's licenses.

Those are used for a lot of things. Like I said it was something I overheard, it could be completely false. The idea doesn't sit well with me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users