Great veterinarian in Rosarito

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 03 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

My little dog got really sick this past New Year's weekend and, surprisingly, I could not find any vet open either on Saturday or Sunday in TJ. I couldn't believe in a city this size so near the border there were no vets open and I had to drive all the way to Rosarito.
A friend sent me to Rosarito to a great vet who is open on Sundays. My dog is has been there overnight. I was worried I would have to go to the U.S. and spend triple/quadruple.
It appears most vets even here in TJ are accustomed to treating only minor problems.
Rodeo Clinica Veterinaria
Benito Juarez # 141, Col. Lucio Blanco
Playas de Rosarito, BC
(661) 613-5207

Well...my little Pekingese stayed at the vet for 3 days and had kidney failure so was euthanized. This vet has dogs for adoption if anyone is looking for one. I was going to San Diego to find another dog and luckily the vet had 3 really cute small dogs for adoption so I took one and I'm picking him up today after being neutered. If I was living in a house I would have taken all 3 of them.
I've was really impressed with this vet and the staff during a very difficult time for me.

#2 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Discos

Posted 04 January 2011 - 01:25 AM

I hope your dog is ok and thanks for the recommendation!
Tijuana is much more than Revolution ave
I am now George Constanza - Lord of the idiots :)

#3 sugarpaws

sugarpaws

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:oh! so many....where to start....

Posted 04 January 2011 - 02:49 AM

I appreciate a fellow animal lover. I want to mention though that alot of time veterinarians are located inside "Graneros" rather than their own freestanding building. For this reason they sometimes go unnoticed by the Public, unless they are already savvy to that fact. I know this because I go to alot of the graneros to buy chicken food, or to sell my chickens,ducks,pheasants etc and other reasons.
It appears that you have found a vet than you are comfortable with so maybe this info is a little tardy. I wish good health for you and your pooch in the New Year!

#4 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 04 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

QUOTE (sugarpaws @ Jan 4 2011, 03:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I appreciate a fellow animal lover. I want to mention though that alot of time veterinarians are located inside "Graneros" rather than their own freestanding building. For this reason they sometimes go unnoticed by the Public, unless they are already savvy to that fact. I know this because I go to alot of the graneros to buy chicken food, or to sell my chickens,ducks,pheasants etc and other reasons.
It appears that you have found a vet than you are comfortable with so maybe this info is a little tardy. I wish good health for you and your pooch in the New Year!

Thanks Sugarpaws. I am aware of that as the vet in Rosarito is inside a Granero. I went to 2 vets; one near UABC and one in Otay who advertises they cater to Americans however they were closed.
So now I'm wondering if the majority of vets here in TJ only practice minor (less expensive) vet care and the better vets are in Ensenada or Rosarito where there are more Americans with $$$.
Most of these vets I've encountered here in TJ aren't experienced to deal with a dog with blood in the urine. So guess I'll now be driving to Rosarito for vet care unless I do find a really competent vet here in TJ.

#5 CB

CB

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 02:20 AM

I use Dr Zoo 664 682 8540.
He's located in Pueblo Amigo center by the border.
great guy and they have grooming too.
peace

#6 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (CB @ Jan 6 2011, 03:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use Dr Zoo 664 682 8540.
He's located in Pueblo Amigo center by the border.
great guy and they have grooming too.
peace

You didn't mention the hours & days open which seems to be an issue here in TJ. Where is Pueblo Amigo for us newbies and which border?

#7 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Mary Ellen @ Jan 6 2011, 09:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You didn't mention the hours & days open which seems to be an issue here in TJ. Where is Pueblo Amigo for us newbies and which border?

Pueblo Amigo is right near the San Ysidro border. Right about here http://maps.google.c...e...mp;t=h&z=16
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#8 shelleyh

shelleyh
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:20 AM

just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this info on Dr Ayala at Rodeo Veterinary Clinic. Our pup was suffering from a very bad cough last ight and we took him to the clinic based on recommendation/post from Mary Ellen. They were great there and our pup is doing very well. We are thankful for the info and highly recommend the Dr Ayala.

#9 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Shelley for the recommendation. Dr. Ayala is very involved in the animal welfare campaign here in Rosarito. There is another great vet, Dr. Joaquin, that I highly recommend who does low cost spay/neuter.

I have Pekingese dogs (very high maintenance) so if anyone needs information/recommendations on medicines or supplements let me know. I buy most of my medicines (such as eye drops) and supplements such as vitamins at the Farmacia Similares. You just need to adjust the dosage for a dog or cat. If anyone needs help with that, let me know.

I have been very impressed with all the vets I have used in Tijuana and Rosarito. Unlike American vets who require $100+ in tests before they will even give a diagnosis, Mexican vets are able to give diagnoses with an examination; an art which seems to be lost with American vets.

QUOTE (shelleyh @ Dec 10 2012, 04:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this info on Dr Ayala at Rodeo Veterinary Clinic. Our pup was suffering from a very bad cough last night and we took him to the clinic based on recommendation/post from Mary Ellen. They were great there and our pup is doing very well. We are thankful for the info and highly recommend the Dr Ayala.

#10 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (Mary Ellen @ Jan 3 2011, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My little dog got really sick this past New Year's weekend and, surprisingly, I could not find any vet open either on Saturday or Sunday in TJ. I couldn't believe in a city this size so near the border there were no vets open and I had to drive all the way to Rosarito.
A friend sent me to Rosarito to a great vet who is open on Sundays. My dog is has been there overnight. I was worried I would have to go to the U.S. and spend triple/quadruple.
It appears most vets even here in TJ are accustomed to treating only minor problems.
Rodeo Clinica Veterinaria
Benito Juarez # 141, Col. Lucio Blanco
Playas de Rosarito, BC
(661) 613-5207

Well...my little Pekingese stayed at the vet for 3 days and had kidney failure so was euthanized. This vet has dogs for adoption if anyone is looking for one. I was going to San Diego to find another dog and luckily the vet had 3 really cute small dogs for adoption so I took one and I'm picking him up today after being neutered. If I was living in a house I would have taken all 3 of them.
I've was really impressed with this vet and the staff during a very difficult time for me.

This is good information, Mary Ellen. I reposted the relevant stuff on the Baja Animal Network Group, which is a good site for asking and giving information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users