• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 07:04 PM

So wife, baby and i went to Tecate yesterday. Did not know what to expect. Forgot all about checking in here to see what to do or where to go. Pretty much said "F" IT, lets see what we find. What could i say? HMMMM.....Well, we parked near the plaza, walked around a bit, Did not know where to go, Hung around for about an hour, then just decided to drive around. Drove around a bit, and found a swap meet, decided to take a look, nothing new, walked around some more, and finally decided to go home.

I don't want to put Tecate down, since we had no idea where to go, or what to do, or what to visit (if anything), but there is not much i can say. The toll road was nice. wink.gif At least it was not 100+ degrees..... laugh.gif

We need more info on this section of the board......

#2 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Whoops - Duplicate

#3 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

I felt the same way in Mexicali! I still think Tijuana offers way more than Mexicali though.. Tecate is very small so I wouldn't count on it offering a lot of stuff.

#4 Ryu

Ryu

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 544 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Should have sent me a PM, I live in Tecate. The Swap Meet is the go to place in Tecate itself. That and the next plaza across the street is the department store area of Tecate. There is really nothing else. We have a few swimming pools on the outskirt of town and a circus in town every once in a while. Even restuarants wise, what is average for TJ is lujo (luxury) for tecate. Tecate is more for drinking beers (there is always the tour at the beer factory) and being with family. It's not Disneyland and no one go Wow, WE'RE GOIGN TO TECATE! It's more like, Tecate? Why?

Even the bars here are nothing compared to TJ. If you have family come to Tecate, otherwise, stay in TJ. But if you must come, here is my agenda for you,

Go to the park on Benito Juerez (main street). It's very small and not the biggest in Tecate. On the right side are some restaurants, order a Sushi roll at the Japanese restaurant, half a sandwich in Subway and at the restaurant next to it, order a nice cold Tecate beer in a beer mug. Eat your food on the tables outside and people watch.

Then drive up Calle Auturo Guerra until you see Soriana, across the street is the Swap Meet, as far as Swap Meets go, it's not bad, although there are more stores for rent signs going up these days and surprise, surprise, prices seem to be higher due to the crisis as well. Wierd for us, normal for Mexico.

Then buy a six pack or 12 pack, etc depending on how big your party is and go to Parque Encinos, our largest park and drink some beers and for adults people watch and for kids, the swings and slides. If you're really bored, we also have a local Peter Piper Pizza, our version of Mundo Divertido although it's neither a Mundo nor muy divertido.

Afterwhich call it a day and head back to TJ and civilization again.

#5 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

Awesome post Ryu. I did see all the places you mentioned. We even stopped at Super Ley, to get the kid a gatorade or something, I should have taken my checkers chips to play on the tables at the plaza. (built in board on the table). I did see that they are doing some construction next to the stadium? Any update on that Ryu?

I didn't even know you lived there. I always kept wondering when i read your post, you would sometimes mention, "when i go back to TJ", I was like, "well doesn't he live in TJ"? But now i know.

#6 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

I like Tecate because it feels like the interior of Mexico, not a border town.

Next time I will follow Ryu's tour.

#7 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

Sadly, I have been absent for a couple of years and have neglected to add information to this subforum. There are things to do in Tecate, most being family friendly and others not so much.

1. El Mejor Pan de Tecate: This has to be the best pastry shop in all of Baja California. I don't know what they use in the ingredients, but the flavor justifies the higher prices! This place is located a half a block from one end of the central plaza, but I can't visualize it right now even though I could find it upon arriving. The building is constructed in a vintage European style, and the place offers not only regular Mexican pastries, but general European-style breads. The bread you buy is packed in gift-style boxes and makes for something good to bring back to friends and family.

2. The Plaza: There are numerous tables with chess/checker boards set with marble and places to just relax and people watch. Here, very few people will bother you, and many people will converse with you without any intentions of hustling, unlike in downtown TJ. The area is covered by free wifi provided by the city. On a Sunday afternoon one can easily spend several hours here socializing, playing games, or even viewing any art expos that are going on. As a bonus, you may get to see Hari Krishnas dancing.

3. Trails between Tecate proper and Santa Anita: There is a wooded area in a creek bed that is good for going 4 wheeling and hiking. You can actually walk between Tecate and Santa Anita in about 40 minutes, so it isn't out of the way.

4. The Brewery: The brewery keeps uneven hours for tours, and it is usually good to call ahead of time to arrange one. It is educational, fun, and informative.

5. El Tecolote: On the highway hanging a left after the McDonalds after driving past the baseball stadium there is a pool hall called "El Tecolote". The place is normally patronized by locals and long-time customers and has minimal problems with transients and hustlers. They offer cards, dominoes, and other games to play while you are drinking your beer if you aren't into pool. I recommend this place as a good watering hole. ***Weird Fact: The place actually has three restrooms. Only two now are labeled as Caballeros and Damas respectively. The third one used to be clearly labeled "gays only" and was for use by the transvestites coming over from the Chupacabras side of Club Acapulco across the street. (They aren't pushy, and they really only show up after 10 PM.)

6. Club Acapulco/Chupacabras: This place is your standard "congal" where you have people in general drinking and hanging out and others patronizing the dancers and ficheras. On the other side of the building there is a separate bar known ad Chupacabras. This is Tecate's only gay bar, and is frequented by people of all classes and of course the transvestites. (There seem to be quiet a few tranvestites in Tecate, but it isn't the same deal as in Tijuana.)

[size=12]

#8 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for your contribution Libertythor. I did see the panaderia, and regret going in. I did not even tell the wife i saw the panaderia, and last night she had a craving for pan dulce.

Ok, so now next time we go to Tecate, i will have a small itinerary of things to do. Well except for going to the bars. I gotta do that solo. But the other places i will check out....

#9 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Buen Amigo @ Sep 8 2010, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for your contribution Libertythor. I did see the panaderia, and regret going in. I did not even tell the wife i saw the panaderia, and last night she had a craving for pan dulce.

Ok, so now next time we go to Tecate, i will have a small itinerary of things to do. Well except for going to the bars. I gotta do that solo. But the other places i will check out....

Be sure to go with a trusted friend if you go to the regular part of Club Acapulco. I wouldn't consider it dangerous, but it attracts a wide crowd of all types.

Tecolote is perfectly fine before 10 PM when the there is spillover from Acapulco. In the daytime it is mainly calm locals.
[size=12]

#10 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

Has anyone been to this place?

http://www.rancholos...com/en/home.php

We are thinking of going for the weekend sometime....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users