Photo

Virgine to this site

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Love Golf, My 914, Bourban and a great cigar.

Posted 29 August 2010 - 06:17 PM

Hello everyone.
I am retired and have been thinking of a move to the baja coastline cool.gif . I am Hispanic and 2nd generation U.S citizen. I speak some Spanish....I know, it's embarrising!
My real interest currently is how the political climate is in Baja, ie. crime, corruption , safety etc. I beleive half of what is reported in the news and would rather here from those individuals at "ground level."
I am searching this site for as much info as possible.
Thanks in advance.
Pirate914......ARG
Lifes journey is NOT to arrive to the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting......HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!!!

#2 bajashrink

bajashrink

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 274 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (pirate914 @ Aug 30 2010, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I beleive half of what is reported in the news and would rather here from those individuals at "ground level."

You are doing the right thing by only believing half of what is reported in the U.S. news media. A lot of it is exaggerated so that U.S. residents will stay home and spend their money there instead of abroad during these difficult economic times.

As long as you don't knowingly become involved in illegal activities or knowingly associate with those involved in illegal activities in Baja, particularly those related to the drug trade, your chances of coming into harms way on a scale of 0 to 10 is a 1. I've lived here for 20 years without any major incidents--just one car stolen back in 1992 and couple of car break-ins.

#3 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 03:12 PM

I agree 100% with BajaS. Though i do not live in the Baja coastal area, i believe i can say from experience it is the same when it comes to living in TJ. The only problems i have had were of my car getting stolen. Other than that nothing else.....

I think everyone in baja/tj lives through getting their car stolen at least once.....

#4 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (bajashrink @ Aug 29 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are doing the right thing by only believing half of what is reported in the U.S. news media. A lot of it is exaggerated so that U.S. residents will stay home and spend their money there instead of abroad during these difficult economic times.

As long as you don't knowingly become involved in illegal activities or knowingly associate with those involved in illegal activities in Baja, particularly those related to the drug trade, your chances of coming into harms way on a scale of 0 to 10 is a 1. I've lived here for 20 years without any major incidents--just one car stolen back in 1992 and couple of car break-ins.

Thanks for your responses.

OK. I hear alot about stolen vehicles! This is one of cars that would be brought into Baja......is this a candidate to be stolen? What about insurance there? Not all houses seem to have garages, some thing that would be a requirement for me.

Attached File  later_shadows__1536_x_1152_.jpg   265.21K   14 downloads
Pirate914......ARG
Lifes journey is NOT to arrive to the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting......HOLY SHIT, WHAT A RIDE!!!

#5 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

Nice ride. Insurance wise i do not know. Since i cross the border everyday i just stick with my U.S. insurance. But i have seen many places offering mexican insurance. I think it is good to have. But my car is in TJ only during the night, while i am sleeping.

About the cars being stolen. My first car in TJ was stolen because it was not protected. Meaning, no alarm, no clubs, kill switch, nada. The thief beat me to it. But i learned my lesson, and now my car has 3 clubs, an alarm and a kill switch. I know it sounds like overkill, but i sleep better at night. This firsT thing i did when i got the new car was put an alarm on it with the kill switch. I have no garage either so this makes me more cofortable......or you can sleep in you car,....

#6 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Pretty much if it has wheel it could be a canidate. I would say that is probably lower risk as the "parts" market is pretty low and it would not make a good crime car as it stands out too much, can't hold a posse and wouldn't do well on TJ streets at high speed (clearance).
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#7 Klort

Klort

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 370 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:20 PM

I understand the thieves want cars that are also made in Mexico and is a 4x4... such as Ford Lobo (F150) or Chevrolet Suburban. Both are very high in demand in the southern part of Mexico. A few years ago, I had a pretty new Audi A4 and was parked behind a Ford Bronco. I came back two or three hours later and the owner of the Bronco was back but it was gone. He asked me if I saw anyone.. I didn't.

#8 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:19 AM

QUOTE (Cyanide41 @ Aug 30 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much if it has wheel it could be a canidate. I would say that is probably lower risk as the "parts" market is pretty low and it would not make a good crime car as it stands out too much, can't hold a posse and wouldn't do well on TJ streets at high speed (clearance).

The hwy along the coast is ok, isn't it ? I would probably take it out to go to Baja Mar G.C. I haven't been down in that area for thirty years or so......wow!
Pirate914......ARG

#9 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE (Klort @ Aug 30 2010, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand the thieves want cars that are also made in Mexico and is a 4x4... such as Ford Lobo (F150) or Chevrolet Suburban. Both are very high in demand in the southern part of Mexico. A few years ago, I had a pretty new Audi A4 and was parked behind a Ford Bronco. I came back two or three hours later and the owner of the Bronco was back but it was gone. He asked me if I saw anyone.. I didn't.

I agree with you. I know up here in SoCal many 4x4's get stolen and end up across the border. A few years back a nephew went to Baja in a new Ford 250 and almost lost it to the police ( probably bad cops) at gun point but was able to talk his way out of the situation.....so the story goes.
Pirate914......ARG

#10 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (bajashrink @ Aug 29 2010, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After reading through much of this site, many of the negative issues are what one will encounter in any part of the world if you are not cognascente of their surroundings.
Pirate914......ARG

#11 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (pirate914 @ Aug 30 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hwy along the coast is ok, isn't it ? I would probably take it out to go to Baja Mar G.C. I haven't been down in that area for thirty years or so......wow!

Highway 1 is in good shape. So are most of the roads in the centro and Zona Rio areas.
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#12 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Buen Amigo @ Aug 30 2010, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice ride. Insurance wise i do not know. Since i cross the border everyday i just stick with my U.S. insurance. But i have seen many places offering mexican insurance. I think it is good to have. But my car is in TJ only during the night, while i am sleeping.

About the cars being stolen. My first car in TJ was stolen because it was not protected. Meaning, no alarm, no clubs, kill switch, nada. The thief beat me to it. But i learned my lesson, and now my car has 3 clubs, an alarm and a kill switch. I know it sounds like overkill, but i sleep better at night. This firsT thing i did when i got the new car was put an alarm on it with the kill switch. I have no garage either so this makes me more cofortable......or you can sleep in you car,....

Nobody wants my car, Cadillac Eldorado. Maybe it's because it's not allowed here in Mexico, for a Mexican to drive or own. That's what i was told. Wish i could find a Mexican Auto repair specializing in Cads. (that knows what they are doing)

Been here, 1.6yrs, no club/alarm. But, my car does have the first year using the key alarm systems in Cads. Key needed to be in close proximity of start up.

#13 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Keyno @ Aug 31 2010, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody wants my car, Cadillac Eldorado. Maybe it's because it's not allowed here in Mexico, for a Mexican to drive or own. That's what i was told. Wish i could find a Mexican Auto repair specializing in Cads. (that knows what they are doing)

Been here, 1.6yrs, no club/alarm. But, my car does have the first year using the key alarm systems in Cads. Key needed to be in close proximity of start up.

The "close proxity key" seems to be a great deterrant and the fact that most stolen vehicles ( as I've been told ) are 4x4's and trucks. I'me sure there are NOT ANY PLACES that can work on my 914. Fortunately I am very knowlagable with 914's as I have owned mine since new, some 34 years. In fact I just finished a complete rebuild of my engine last month. This is my hobby car so body work and a repaint are next.
Pirate914......ARG

#14 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (pirate914 @ Aug 31 2010, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The "close proxity key" seems to be a great deterrant and the fact that most stolen vehicles ( as I've been told ) are 4x4's and trucks. I'me sure there are NOT ANY PLACES that can work on my 914. Fortunately I am very knowlagable with 914's as I have owned mine since new, some 34 years. In fact I just finished a complete rebuild of my engine last month. This is my hobby car so body work and a repaint are next.

OMG! A 914??? You actually bought that piece of ****? Guess you could not afford a 911 or even a 912... If you wanted a a VW, you shoulda' bought one laugh.gif

But then I bought a 1960 Ford Sunliner with 250,000 miles on it in Lawton, OK (Ft. Sill) for $75.00 but it got me to Chgo and Ft. Belvoir , to West Point and back to Chgo before I sold it for $150.00.

You shoulda' bought a 917 instead; yea, like I could afford one too... laugh.gif

But, welcome
If you must barter your life, make sure you are living.
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

#15 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

QUOTE (richsinc @ Sep 5 2010, 07:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG! A 914??? You actually bought that piece of ****? Guess you could not afford a 911 or even a 912... If you wanted a a VW, you shoulda' bought one laugh.gif

But then I bought a 1960 Ford Sunliner with 250,000 miles on it in Lawton, OK (Ft. Sill) for $75.00 but it got me to Chgo and Ft. Belvoir , to West Point and back to Chgo before I sold it for $150.00.

You shoulda' bought a 917 instead; yea, like I could afford one too... laugh.gif

But, welcome

You wouldn't beleive the cars I have owned. '57 Chevy 210 (my first), '61 corvett, "65 Mustang GT, '68 Corvett 350 HT, '69 Camaro SS 350, '74 914. The one I have kept is the most fun to drive.

912's has the same engine as my 914, 2.0. 911's are known as ASS DRAGGERS Because the trans-axle hangs out beyond the rear wheels where as the 914 has all it's components withinin all four wheel giving it a superior balanced platform. Go on to u-tube and watch the 914's with 4 cylinders out run the new 996 and 993 911 and everything else.

VW ohmy.gif ? Call me anything you want, but don't mess with my car tongue.gif .I don't think so dry.gif my 914 2.5 (not quite stock) can out run most of the the cars I owned in the past and put me on winding roads and all would be left to eat my dust and I still would get 30mpg's. laugh.gif
Pirate914......ARG

#16 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (pirate914 @ Sep 5 2010, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You wouldn't beleive the cars I have owned. '57 Chevy 210 (my first), '61 corvett, "65 Mustang GT, '68 Corvett 350 HT, '69 Camaro SS 350, '74 914. The one I have kept is the most fun to drive.

912's has the same engine as my 914, 2.0. 911's are known as ASS DRAGGERS Because the trans-axle hangs out beyond the rear wheels where as the 914 has all it's components withinin all four wheel giving it a superior balanced platform. Go on to u-tube and watch the 914's with 4 cylinders out run the new 996 and 993 911 and everything else.

VW ohmy.gif ? Call me anything you want, but don't mess with my car tongue.gif .I don't think so dry.gif my 914 2.5 (not quite stock) can out run most of the the cars I owned in the past and put me on winding roads and all would be left to eat my dust and I still would get 30mpg's. laugh.gif

Oh gees, where do I start to educate?

Ever hear of Chaparells beating the crap out of Porsches on their home turf at Nurbergring??? (Was there) And they had crappy Chevy engines... but I had a '56 Chevy Bel-air long before the '57 crap. I can still hear the hydrallics clacking...

The Austin-Healey 3000 was a death trap tho driving in Germany; only left the road 3 times in that. Farmer's fields make soft landings, thank God. Ever hear of OSI?

Ever hear of a Ford GT-40? A M6?

laugh.gif
If you must barter your life, make sure you are living.
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

#17 pirate914

pirate914
  • Advanced Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (richsinc @ Sep 8 2010, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh gees, where do I start to educate?

Ever hear of Chaparells beating the crap out of Porsches on their home turf at Nurbergring??? (Was there) And they had crappy Chevy engines... but I had a '56 Chevy Bel-air long before the '57 crap. I can still hear the hydrallics clacking...

The Austin-Healey 3000 was a death trap tho driving in Germany; only left the road 3 times in that. Farmer's fields make soft landings, thank God. Ever hear of OSI?

Ever hear of a Ford GT-40? A M6?

laugh.gif

I'me a motor head wink.gif . If it was a production car I know it. If it was a race car (GT 40, Lola's, Alfa Rameo's,Chaparells) I probably knew it/knew of it. I am a Product of the fourties, grew up chasing muscle cars and sports cars in the sixties and spent a lot of time at Sears Point, Laguna Seca during those years watching the BMW's and Porsches do battle.

OSI (7 layer model?) is an interesting acronym (Open Systems Interconnection? ) was developed though ISO. In my former life I was an ISO auditor. Is this what your question is ? or are you naming a vehicle I have never heard of ohmy.gif ? laugh.gif

Attached File  www.vwporsche914.it_50_1283893006.1_1_.jpg   22.83K   4 downloads Attached File  www.914_piloten.de_50_1283893067.1_1_.jpg   66.57K   4 downloads914 1,2,3, finish. WOW!!!
Pirate914......ARG

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users