Photo

Bring it over or start anew? Best guess on 'inspection' fees & perro paperwork?

pets taxes duties paperwork dogs dog perro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 07:39 PM

Making the big move to Playas Monday or Tuesday

I found some guys to move my stuff (cheap)

I have the following:

old fridge

stackable washer/dryer

queen size bed

spin bike

ab machine

3-wheel rusty bike

boxes of personal items (cooking, clothes etc. . . )

The movers are charging $250. But I have no clue what the inspection fees will be. I hear it all depends (I am a wide-eyed gringo, so?) any suggestions/comments or words for the 'wise' would be greatly appreciated.

If you cannot afford 'inspection' fees at the Mexican border gate, do they confiscate your things, or?

I have a dog that will be accompaning me. I read where you must show that pets are current on their shots, and there may be a fee. Any words from experience?

muchas gracias mis amigos y amigas,

#2 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

My vet told me that pets have to be current on their shots, and have proof of a rabies shot.  He didn't say anything about a fee, nor do they need a certificate of health.  I just took my cat in a couple of weeks ago for his shots, and my vet just said to show them a copy of the receipt with proof.  I'm sure that he knows, because he volunteers with the Baja Pet Sanctuary in Rosarito.

#3 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm bringing my household stuff with me, and I'll be moving everything as much as I can (that I can carry) in my Astrovan.  What the movers will be moving will be:

3 wooden chests of drawers

couch

5.0cuft freezer

microwave

two particle board cabinets

file cabinet

and some boxes, but I don't know how many, probably what's left after a couple trips myself.  My computer and TV are two years old, and I bought the freezer in December.  I have all my receipts to if necessary.

Everything that I have is used, and it's not worth a whole lot except to me.  I'm planning to use the guys from Craigslist that Krista used.

#4 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for the pet info.
Yeah, I'm using the guys from Craig's list, too I'll be moving after the holiday. Please keep me posted about your moving experience.
Gracias

#5 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

I won't be moving until fall, so you'll be there before me.  My move has to be done in stages, and the insurance on my Astrovan is due mid August.  After I get paid, I plan to look for a place, but it won't be in Playas.  I'm thinking either Colonia Indepencia or Zona Rio.

#6 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

I've crossed with multiple dogs in my car and no one has ever said anything or asked for anything and I bring stuff to/from work and never asked for a fee. 

#7 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

I've crossed with multiple dogs in my car and no one has ever said anything or asked for anything and I bring stuff to/from work and never asked for a fee. 

My cat got his shots because he needed them, but if I wasn't moving to TJ, I wouldn't have gotten him the rabies shot.  I'd rather be safe and have proof of them.  I'll be moving most of my stuff myself, and I expect to end up in secondary each time since I have a minivan.  But if I don't get stopped, that's fine, I'd rather be safe than sorry.  I think it just depends on who's at the booth/gate when you go through.

#8 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Yes, I'm using a station wagon. I've only crossed once so far with it and I've gone into secondary on both the MX and US side.

#9 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

I expect to get stopped every time I cross, since I have a van.  I actually went for my Sentri appointment on Tuesday, but MapQuest left off two streets, and I ended up in line to cross the border.  I got waved into secondary, and a very nice young agent opened the back doors of my van and looked in it. He didn't find anything interesting except two large black plastic bags of plastic bottles and some junk.  Then he opened a gate for me to get in line to cross into the US.  I was in the ready line, and it only took a few minutes.

#10 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

Wow, you had a way better experience than I did. I think I will try the Otay Ready Lane on Tuesday when I cross.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pets, taxes, duties, paperwork, dogs, dog, perro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users