Considering Playas de Tijuana

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtlessons

jtlessons
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hey, I am looking at rentals in Playas de Tijuana.  Does anyone live in or near that area who can report about the quality of life, rent amounts, safety etc...

My name is Jeffrey Thomas and I teach guitar, bass & ukulele on skype...google me.

I am so tired of the U.S. price tag.  I also need some tech info on the internet connection.  I am looking at Telnor or Cablemas service highspeed packages at least 30mbps.

Thanks, Jeff.

#2 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

To avoid U.S. you have to steer away from predominantly English websites/media.  So that means you need to speak (and read) Spanish.   You will find the best prices if you drive in the area and usually that means contacting property owners who speak Spanish...not English.  There are several TJ newspapers to check about where most crime happens; again they are in Spanish.

Don't expect too much from internet connection here...Cablemas has one of the highest # of complaints by locals; most hate Cablemas but you are pretty much stuck with them as they now have a monopoly in the Tijuana/Rosarito/Ensenada market.

The months of June/July are NOT good months to be looking for cheap rentals as people from the U.S. come here for the summer and people from Mexicali come here for the summer to escape the heat.

So the bottom line is to escape getting soaked by American prices...you need to speak Spanish.

#3 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Playas is nice.  It's more relaxed than the rest of TJ. The further south in playas you go, the cheaper the housing. Of course that also means it's a little "rougher" . I have seen rent range between $500 - $1400. It all depends on what you are looking for.

I use cablemas for my internet. I think my connection is only 20mbs, but they have higher speeds. I think their commercial tier is 100mbs. The cable is a lot cheaper than the US. I am not sure what Monoply Mary Elen is talking about since there are other options.

Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#4 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:33 PM

I just rented in Playas. Lost my house. So it was either my car or TJ.
Yep the suggestion about speaking Spanish is correct.
I don't and I got ripped.
But I expected it.
So you just hit pay dirt. I'm going to tell you how to get a place from American renters w/o paying the rip off commission. First avoid a guy named Jose. Nice guy, but a business man. He charged me $300 just in commission, which I would not have had to pay had I had the following info. I actually rented from two really nice Americans (Jose was the 'go between I didn't need). They have a website, but I'm new to this forum, so I don't know if I can post it.
But here it is if you can figure it out:
Bajayellowpages dot com
Ask for Robert or Dennis and make sue you tell them Jan the surfer girl in Playas who just moved in sent you.
Here's another tip that I've already seen posted: don't move until you get your Sentri pass.
Imagine hell, and then put the 10th exponent on it: you now have 'the border crossing". I've been robbed once already and my car broke down in line once. The shortest wait has been 3 hours, and I went during 'optimal' times.' I even tried the Otay crossing. I've been to secondary both entering Mexico and entering US. The Mexican agents are waaaay nicer than the Nazis you'll encounter going into the US. These guys would kill their own grandmother if they were ordered to, true psychopaths. I haven't had so much as a parking ticket in 20 years and for some reason I was flagged going into the US. The whole time the guards were interrogating me like I was a criminal.
Internet is my next monster to conquer. I went into cablemas and telcel. Neither one had anyone who spoke English. But I'm not complaining. I do not expect anyone to accommodate me. It's my job to learn the language, which is challenging, but doable.
I can say with utmost conviction the move to TJ has been the greatest challenge of my life, and I have a Ph.D. I'm a musician and I teach. Days like yesterday I really regret my decision. However, sometimes our choices are the result of few options.
One thing I do know: Mexico is not single-woman friendly, but that's okay, neither was my ex-husband.
I'm working on getting a mover to help move what little belongings I have. This site has helped immensely.
I hope this was informative

#5 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 02:36 AM

welcome to TJ and Tijuanablog. Love your comical view on life, yours that is.

#6 Chamaco

Chamaco
  • Advanced Member
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, staying fit, and occasionally golfing (yea, getting old)

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Most gringos seem to gravitate to Playas, and I looked there at first too, but I ended up buying a house in a different area and have no regrets about the decision.  I heard too many negative things about Playas and security issues there, plus the additional commute time.

I found the first 2-3 months pretty challenging, and I speak Spanish fairy well.  I can imagine how it would be for someone who doesn't speak the language.  You'll need patiance to get through the initial period.

As Mary Ellen and Jan point out, it's easy to get taken down here and if you are a typical wet behind the ears gringo, you'll find plenty of people willing to help you out by inserting themselves between you and your objective as a middle man.  I think there's one other factor you need in addition to Spanish to get the best deals.  TIME.  If you live down here and don't have to commute every day across the border, you'll have more time to get things done in  cost effective way.

Good luck.  And welcome to the forum.

#7 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:59 PM

Wow Jan, I am sorry you are having such a hard time. You got robbed while waiting to cross the border? That's rare. The other things you mentioned were pretty common. There is always someone trying to help you for a fee. I am not sure which "optimal times" you are reffering to, but you should be able to cross in under 3 hours on most days. (Sundays are the worst). If you need help with anything, I live here in Playas and I will be more than happy to lend a hand and I won't even charge you a fee. Just message me here on the blog.

#8 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thanks so much. I'll be finally doing a sleep over in my condo, as I have been easing into this move slowly. You can't miss me: I'll either be in the water surfing or on my bike. Also, I'll be wearing a sign: "patearme". Some nice man gave it to me. He said it's Espanol for "have a nice day". That's what I love about the Spanish language: you only need one ot two words to make a complete sentence, so efficient.

Actually I got robbed trying to find the border. Totally my fault: I thought I had the map pretty well down for the Ready Lane. I made it past the last statue and somehow kept winding up on that bridge. This went on for a good hour, and it was right in the middle of rush hour. Some nice man in the crosswalk tried giving me directions " make a 'U', turn right and make sure you don't wind up on the bridge" I really tried to focus on what he was telling me. Then some guy ran over and told me to let him in; he could take me to the Ready Lane. Well, I was desperate, and I've actually run in to nothing but helpful people thus far (including a Mexican cop), so I let him in (bad move). I really didn't mind that he got my $20 (I deserved it). The problem is he got me to the regular border crossing line. The venders saw it and one came over and apologized. When I got up to the front, I went to Secondary. The guy that robbed me was actually nicer than the custom's agents. Man, those guys are so rude.

#9 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

aahh.. that makes more sense. $20 for a valuable lesson. CBP agents are hard to read. Some are really nice, and other are flat out assholes. And then there are the ones you start to think are nice, but are really assholes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users