Where to vacation in Mexico?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

I always thought it would be cool to go down to see the Mayan ruins. Quintana Roo is on my to do list. I would also like to go to DF just to say I was there. 

Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#22 Buen Amigo

Buen Amigo

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

Playa escondida, Nayarit???

check it out on youtube

#23 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have been busy working and not checking the site.  A few of my Mexican friends that I asked where to go said DF and Puerto Vallarta.

I booked my flight and hotel to Puerto Vallarta a few weeks ago.  I am not really overly excited to go but I hope I am pleasantly surprised when I get there.  I just hope it is not a tourist trap with a bunch of gringos and Europeans that is my fear.  Volaris did not fly on Saturdays  so I booked a direct flight leaving Sunday and returning on Friday.  Round trip costs $420 us dollars per person.  They had a bunch of connecting flights to DF but I did not want to transfer.  My friend who grew up in Guadalajara and has spent many vacations in PV told me to rent a room at Hotel Tropicana which is right on the beach in zona romantico.  The hotel is near the old downtown and walking distance to many things.  Five nights at this hotel is $460 us dollars.  

I also asked my friend from Guad what were the five things I should do or see in PV and he told me the following:

1.       Extreme Zip Lining

2.       Catamarán to Las Caletas Beach (Vallarta Adventures)

3.       Excursion Rhytms of the Night also by Vallarta Adventures

4.       Bay of Banderas

5.       And lots of good restaurants, La Palapa, Archie’s Wok, River Café

Trip report will following in early October.

#24 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

I still say you should hit up Mexico City if you haven't already HK.

If you haven't flown Volaris since your last reported trip to GDL last year, prepare to pay for everything including snacks. 

"YO heart BC"

#25 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

I have not been on Volaris since the Guad trip.  On my way back from Guad I had bought two bottles of Tequila and put it in my suitcase since I did not think I could carry on liquids so I got a charge for my bag being over the limit.  

I saw the below article on the way to work this morning.

https://www.yahoo.co...3322650682.html

#26 aimhigh

aimhigh
  • Advanced Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:09 PM

Here is my 2 cents.  I am heading out to a wedding in Playa Del Carmen (PDC) this week with my daughter.  We are flying out of TJ which means we will save around $200 per person (as opposed to flying out of LA) on airfare.

I plan to visit the Puerto Morelos and Akumal for snorkeling during my short trip there, in addition to the wedding.  I have been to Quintana Roo many times and it has always been a pleasure to visit the Mexican Riviera if you like water sports and beautiful beaches.

For chicas and culture (other than Mayan) Qroo is definitely NOT the place. For beaches, snorkeling and scuba diving, this is one of the best places (probably the best) to go. PDC is a little too touristy now and will let you guys know about Akumal and Tulum.  I rented a Nissan Tsuru for just $5 a day at Hertz, unbelievable deal.  We'll see if it is for real.

Saludos!

#27 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:40 AM

Quick vacation re-cap.  Just got back from 6 days n 5 nights in Puerto Vallarta.  I enjoyed myself.  Highlights were swimming in the warm ocean water, relaxing by the pool drinking Pacificos and zip lining through the jungle.  Hotel room was not much to speak about but I had a perfect ocean front room.  The plane was packed coming and going but my hotel was empty which was nice.  I would return to PV.  

Pros:

warm ocean water

beautiful jungle views

zip lining through the jungle

very relaxing 

Cons:

hotel room should have been nicer

being harassed on the beach from people selling their crap but I experienced this in Mazatlan too

being harassed walking along the malecon from people selling their crap or trying to get you in their restaurant or guys wanting to sell you drugs (big turnoff)

solution to malecon problems was just walking a block off the malecon and there were no issues

I thought the food was overpriced and mediocre (200 pesos or more for a so so meal and drink).  I ended up eating at McDonalds most days for lunch and at Italian resturants for diner.

#28 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

Quick vacation re-cap.  Just got back from 6 days n 5 nights in Puerto Vallarta.  I enjoyed myself.  Highlights were swimming in the warm ocean water, relaxing by the pool drinking Pacificos and zip lining through the jungle.  Hotel room was not much to speak about but I had a perfect ocean front room.  The plane was packed coming and going but my hotel was empty which was nice.  I would return to PV.  

Pros:

warm ocean water

beautiful jungle views

zip lining through the jungle

very relaxing 

Cons:

hotel room should have been nicer

being harassed on the beach from people selling their crap but I experienced this in Mazatlan too

being harassed walking along the malecon from people selling their crap or trying to get you in their restaurant or guys wanting to sell you drugs (big turnoff)

solution to malecon problems was just walking a block off the malecon and there were no issues

I thought the food was overpriced and mediocre (200 pesos or more for a so so meal and drink).  I ended up eating at McDonalds most days for lunch and at Italian resturants for diner.

I experienced the same BS in Acapulco in 2012.  Everyone was hustling there from the hotel guys right down to the "ambulantes" on the beach, I was never offered drugs though...that is crazy. That has happened to me in TJ and even DT SD, hahaa.    I am used to the hustling in Rosarito and even Revo in the old days but it was beyond annoying in ACA, they were really pushy and all over the place.  It was a total turn off especially for the wifey.

Let me recommend Puerto Penasco in Sonora off the Sea of Cortez.  It is about a 6 hour drive from Tijuana (or San Diego North of the Border crossing at Lukeville AZ or Yuma AZ).  The water is warm! The condos/hotels are NICE! the "hustling" by the locals is low key! and the price is right! We replaced our usual Vegas 3 day weekend this summer and loved it so much, we may do it again next summer (sorry VEGAS!!!).

If not, DUDE, just go to DF already HK. hahahahha.  If you can do Monterrey or Guadalajara, why not Mex City?  You can always do Mex City for 3 days and then the small town of Taxto for 1-2 days.  Taxco is incredible and is only about 2 hours away by bus or car.

You can always visit for the Taxco downhill which is something I have always wanted to do.

"YO heart BC"

#29 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the advice.  Funny thing I just arrived in Vegas Sunday night and will return to TJ this Friday.  Still love Vegas.  I have been staying at Sams Town off Boulder Hwy the past 3 or so years.  Love it.  Rooms are cheap and they have 20X odds on craps.  They treat us low rollers like high rollers.

Don't plan on any Mexico vacations until later next year.  I really need to improve my Spanish.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users