• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Magnolia

Magnolia
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Health

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

I currently live in Austin, TX. I am in the middle of writing a book and I miss water. I am looking at moving to the area soon for the summer, maybe much longer...I need to know a few things...Safest place to live for a single woman near the ocean...Also, I eat organic foods and can you find any there and can you bring food and supplements into Mexico easily? Is it relaxing living there or is it too dirty and unsafe to be so?
I would love to speak to someone via the phone about the place prior to coming over...How much is it to call the states? I need it to be affordable as I will continue my research. I also need info on the best palce to get a mailbox in SD...
I am a young 40 single southern female that is a writer and may work in real estate when I get there. Cheers! Magnolia

Also, is the weather just great all year as I hear?? I want to escape the Texas heat this summer!

#2 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Discos

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:16 PM

There are plewnty of safe areas near the Ocean. the further South you go the safer it is. Will you be crossing often? I find that many people that do not need to cross every week venture further south as in Rosarito and such. There are also plenty of areas in TJ Playas that are safe as well.

No problem bringing food and suppliments as long as they are not illegal suppliments.

Many people I talk are surprised that Tijuana has nice areas. They only see what the news and movies show you which are shack ridden homes and bad areas. I think you will be surprised as well.

If you have time glance over at the other threads on moving to Tijuana and you will find a lot of valuable info smile.gif

When you are ready to move I am sure there will be plenty of people that will help you smile.gif

Good Luck
Milky
Tijuana is much more than Revolution ave
I am now George Constanza - Lord of the idiots :)

#3 Magnolia

Magnolia
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

thanks for the info...is the weather as great as I hear?

#4 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Discos

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

Year round temp is 2nd to Hawaii, is that good enough ? :wink:

When you do plan to move my suggestion is stay at a hotel for a week and look for places in realtime rather than doing it from Texas.

I get many emails about helping people find a place to rent and they want to find a place months before they move which is a waste in my opinion.
Many places get rented as soon as the signs go up.

There was a TJblogger that wanted to live in Otay near me. A home opened up on the corner of my street and I call him that same day. In the Am the next day it was already rented.

By the way a builder knocked down a couple homes on the next block and put up a TJ version of a Mac Mansion. It looks very nice. If he was renting rooms I would think about living there.
Tijuana is much more than Revolution ave
I am now George Constanza - Lord of the idiots :)

#5 Magnolia

Magnolia
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:03 PM

I lived in Hawaii for 8 months and the temp is increasing, yet many of the places did not have a/c...how about in TJ? I will be coming in after May 7th...and I do plan on staying in a hotel until I find a place... Any recommendations? Thanks

#6 Scooby

Scooby

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 548 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:02 PM

The Zaragoza motel is pretty nice. On Madero btw 7 & 8th st.
They were listed on the net before.
$35 & up.
Many cheaper places, but one often gets what they pay for here (& not...).
Some folks will rent there apts for short term and some are furnished.

Click the "Search" button above for keywording many of the subjects you may have interests in.
For example, I and others have addressed mail options several times.

#7 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 08:47 PM

Got my move done and back on the internet (great deal; sharing neighbor's Belkin1000; no more Telnor! Cheap too!)

Holy shoot! Magnolia is outposting Chiquito/per day on the stats!

Magnolia: no apt. heating that I know of in Mexico; coldest it's been in my place in the morning has been 64 F; heats up quickly when sun comes up;
right now 74 F with cloudy sky but I am 'inland' as opposed to the beach. Generally temp is a few degrees higher in TJ than San Diego; depends more on whether you are on coast or farther inland.

Hope to see most of you guys and girls tonight at Frog's!
If you must barter your life, make sure you are living.
Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

#8 seamus8

seamus8
  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:37 PM

sorry, wrong forum

#9 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

You are not going to find many foods that are labeled as Organic in Mexico although the locals will tell you that everything is 'organic'. But if you don't mind crossing to San Diego, there is a Trader Joes and Whole Foods about 25 - 30 minutes from the border (no traffic) and many other stores that offer Organic food. Costco carries some (Milk, frozen steaks, frozen veggies, salsa, some cereals etc) as well as small sections in many of the chain grocery stores. And then there are some smaller type grocers that specialize in Organic.

If you are trying to avoid the heat, I would recommend a place as close to the ocean as you can get. There are some days where it gets in the 80's and sometimes even the 90's, but most of the time it is in the mid 70's near the coast with lows in the 60's in the summer months. Surely much cooler than in Texas. Generally no AC but you won't need it most days... opening the windows and some fans should suffice. 'Great' weather is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think it is cold here... they envision San Diego as some tropical vacation spot...

You can call the states for 'free' if you have DSL or cable modem service and VOIP telephone service (apx. $60 per month). Many other posts concerning this.

There are several options for mail boxes very close to the border including Postal Annex, The UPS Store, some independent stores, and the US Post office.

#10 the.ronin

the.ronin

Valued Contributor

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:38 PM

(Magnolia)
thanks for the info...is the weather as great as I hear?

I like it in the Spring and Fall. Summer months can get ridiculously hot and at times very humid.

#11 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

(Chiquito)
Air conditioning, heating, dishwashers and garbage disposals are things I don't ever remember seeing in private homes in Mexico.

I have a dishwasher AND garbage disposal smile.gif

#12 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Andy;

What's your dishwashers name? I may be interested in hiring him/her.

But I do have a in-sink garbage disposal already, but if he/she takes out the trash that would be OK too.

#13 andy

andy

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:44 PM

(richsinc)
Andy;

What's your dishwashers name? I may be interested in hiring him/her.

But I do have a in-sink garbage disposal already, but if he/she takes out the trash that would be OK too.

Very funny...

disherwashers name is : Sr. Whirlpool
garbage disposal is: Sra. GE

#14 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

Andy;

My live-in cook's name is Sr. George Foreman Grill.

(I think he is trying to make eyes at Sra. Hotpoint tho...) sad.gif

#15 ItsJustBeachie

ItsJustBeachie

Valued Contributor

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Artist, musician, trained medium and intuitive

Posted 04 May 2006 - 10:51 PM

I've been in the Playas for a month but used to come down here all the time. I am, also, a single female and 50 yo. I moved to San Diego for work and stayed at the EZ8 Motel until I finally decided to live in the Playas. There is one close to the border off I-5, and you can work out a weekly rate.

I am very happy and feel safe in the Playas. Most of my neighbors are established Mexican families and those I've met have been welcoming. Being a sola ginga living here at my age seems to be a bit of a novelty to the "locals."

As for organic foods, the best is to drive across the border and go to Whole Foods Market in San Diego. Check out Trader Joe's as well. They are everywere in Southern California, and prices are great. I buy my staple items in Mexico and the gourmet stuff north of the border.

Beachie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users