• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

I just moved to Playas.

I am really working hard at learning Spanish. I have books, software and lots more. I practice everyday, but am reluctant to try it out with a real Spanish speaker, due to lack of confidence.

Every time I try some phrases, people feel so sorry for me, they immediately break into English.

The only practice I got was a wrong number on my new Mexican Phone number. Again the lady detected I was not a native and began speaking perfect English.

The security guard helps me every day, But I really need more.

Suggestions?

Any schools in Playas?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

spanishdict dot com

#3 Jansurf

Jansurf
  • Advanced Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

Good one. Thanks

#4 Chamaco

Chamaco
  • Advanced Member
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, staying fit, and occasionally golfing (yea, getting old)

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

Do you work in San Diego and cross every day?  If so, you might want to take classes at a junior college in San Diego.

I tried (a couple of decades ago) to learn on my own using the typical stuff you could find in bookstores at the time (Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet).  I didn't get very far like that.  Then I signed up for night classes at Mira Mar Jr college.  It wasn't until I started attending five hours per week of instruction (by a native speaker from Mexico) in a structured environment with quizes, exams, etc. that I really started learning.  I ended up taking 15 units, and was finally able to communicate.  Once you build grammar and a large enough vocabulary, you'll get much more out of practicing/talking with locals.

Everybody's different.  Language abilities are not my strong suit.  I've seen other people learn (English) just by hanging out with English speakers and listening, TV, and later working in a job where they had to talk a lot.  The real key IMHO is your desire to learn it.

#5 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

All the classes (or $$$)  in the world won't help if you don't speak it.  Learning and speaking are two entirely different things.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users