• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Someone had posted the import duties in a thread but I am not able to find it.

So if I buy a brand new TV in SD for $700 and I declare it when I cross the border. How much will the tax be? I am thinking like 15%?

#2 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

1st of all, don't declare it. If you get the red light and they find it, you play the same. 2nd, take it out of the box, and make it look "used"
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#3 TJDave

TJDave

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 489 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:55 PM

Ditto what Cyanide41 said... Last month I purchased a TV at Costco in Chula Vista and just took it out of the box and put it in the back seat... 47 inch, but it fit nicely... went through and didn't get a red light, now I'm watching my new 47inch LED smart TV in my bedroom...

What I have heard is that, as a tourist, you are allowed $100 of merchandise when crossing the border, they will charge you 16% duty on the difference... so you'd pay $96US on the $600 difference... if there is more than one person in the car, the taxable amount goes down by $100 per person (or $300 per Mexican national).

If you have an FM2 or FM3, you may import all household goods without duty, but you must declare everything and have a detailed list with approximate values, I think a new TV in the box would still garner attention though.

#4 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE (TJDave @ Mar 21 2012, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you have an FM2 or FM3, you may import all household goods without duty, but you must declare everything and have a detailed list with approximate values, I think a new TV in the box would still garner attention though.

I think you can only do that once. I was about to ask if anyone could confirm, but I am sure this rule changes depending on who's working that day.

Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#5 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

When I first moved to TJ back in 2005 I got a FM3. At the time of being approved for the FM3 you could make a list of the items that you were bringing into Mexico as a one time exemption. The guidelines for the list was very specific of what and how much you could bring in. For example electronics you had to list serial numbers. The list was approved then you had to show it when you crossed the border. I rememeber even though I had the list they still charged me a import tax. I don't remember how much it was but probably around 50 bucks.

When I moved back to TJ in 2009. I said screw getting the FM3 and doing a list. I moved what I could in my car. I paid TET to move my furniture and other big stuff. TET crossed it and they had it wrapped so well the aduana thought it was all new stuff. TET told them it was all used and they charged 1,500 pesos.

#6 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Well I was able to cross my new TV Saturday without getting the red light. It just barley fit in my back seat without the box. My drivers seat was pushed forward so far that I could barley squeeze in. It felt like I was in a clown car. I was expecting to get the red but thank god I did not!

#7 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (HK70 @ Mar 23 2012, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I first moved to TJ back in 2005 I got a FM3. At the time of being approved for the FM3 you could make a list of the items that you were bringing into Mexico as a one time exemption. The guidelines for the list was very specific of what and how much you could bring in. For example electronics you had to list serial numbers. The list was approved then you had to show it when you crossed the border. I rememeber even though I had the list they still charged me a import tax. I don't remember how much it was but probably around 50 bucks.

When I moved back to TJ in 2009. I said screw getting the FM3 and doing a list. I moved what I could in my car. I paid TET to move my furniture and other big stuff. TET crossed it and they had it wrapped so well the aduana thought it was all new stuff. TET told them it was all used and they charged 1,500 pesos.

When we moved to Mazatlan, we did the same. Crammed our van to the hilt, never got a red light or any hassle and then went back and did it several more times, until we had the things we wanted with us. People get a little too scared about it and spend hours and time creating lists in both Spanish and English with model numbers etc. MJy friends did this AND had all their stuff in a large open trailer being pulled by their SUV. Were they ever asked for their list? NO! Ya gotta just take a chance once in a while.

#8 MelissaS

MelissaS
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE (HK70 @ Mar 23 2012, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WHAT IS TET?

#9 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:54 PM

TET is a moving company that has posted on the site before. They can move your stuff from SD into Mexico and within Mexico.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users