Living in Playas

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 dgordon1029

dgordon1029
  • Advanced Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

I wanted to move to Playas but I hear that the traffic is quite bad. How long would it take to ride a bike to the border from Playas? I'm also liking the Zona Rio area as an alternative. I found an apartment in Libertad for $280 and $150 for the security deposite. They are completly renovating the inside and I like the layout and the location (close to the border) the ouside area isnt as apealing as I would like. What dou you guys think of the Zona Rio and Libertad area? Would you recommend Playas for someone who will need to cross the border daily? I love this site, it's full of such good info. I sugar paws catches this posting I'm still looking forward to seeing what apartments you know about to. Hope to meet up with some of you this weekend

#2 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:17 PM

I like the Infonovit Rio, departmentos azul, the blue buildings (10 yrs old) (Zona Rio) area close to Libertad and very close to the border (10-15 minute walk) close to Senor Frogs; Ley, Pueblo Amigo.

Mainly middle class families; kid's soccer, schools; safe; friendly; between Centenario and Padre Kino.

There is a five story white building south of Ley that has 3 bedroom apts which go for $630; believe the bldg has an elevator too! I have not been inside yet; just talked to an American that lives there. You may want to check it out.

Sounds like you may come this saturday; great! Another Lady Blogger.

richsinc

#3 Playa

Playa
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:29 PM

You cannot ride a bike from Playas to the border unless you are on a suicide mission. The only road to Playas is a highway packed with speeding cars and busses. The emergency line is littered with garbage, broken glass, dead animals, and rocks. There is a possibility of taking your bike on the bus and then riding to the border from downtown, but not all busdrivers allow bikes onto the busses.

I find that there a very few bike riders in Tijuana in general.

#4 dgordon1029

dgordon1029
  • Advanced Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:28 PM

Thank for the feed back, look's like it either Zona Rio or Libertad for me then. I love the beach but, I will be commuting back and forth across the border during the week. Sorry richsinc I'm not a chick, I just love girls, girls, girls thats why I have that picture there but hopefully it will still be cool if I hang out

#5 Gary

Gary
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:many

Posted 24 November 2005 - 12:29 AM

Good one Chiquito. What about after five shots biggrin.gif

#6 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 09:55 PM

dgordan; yea still cool to hang out; silly me for thinking that some people might post their real pictures on the internet.
I did figure out that dogs can't type that well tho.
richsinc

#7 sugarpaws

sugarpaws

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 228 posts
  • Interests:oh! so many....where to start....

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:48 AM

I just gotta say ..you guys are cracking me up with your banter!!! ....the and i am not a dogetc slayed me!!!!

#8 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

Glad you got a chuckle sugarpaws.
Banter is good; one needs a sense of Yuma (thats on their Visitors info maps/pamphlets; seen 'm when I used to go their for Padres spring training games) in life.
Wonder if Chiquito knows the "Who's on first?" routine?
Who knows what will happen tomorrow at Senor Frog's?
richsinc

#9 sugarpaws

sugarpaws

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:39 PM

I agree with you both! It is fun to find other people with the same slightly sarcastic sense of humor that I have.....I would love to find out if there are any other women Bloggers that wander through this site as much as I do! If ther are any out there i would like to hear about living in TJ from a womans point of view! obviously I am a woman and I do live here in TJ it would be interesting to share experience as i am sure they take on a different twist from the male experience! By the way...you guys are very interesting too...

#10 rosnjust

rosnjust
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:48 AM

What is it like being an American woman in TJ. I am female but do not live in TJ but would like to know!

#11 sugarpaws

sugarpaws

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 04:59 AM

It is a trip!! An adventure for sure! I want to share with other women like I mentioned that actually do live here ...cause I am curious about others in the same situation I am. I guess you are curious...do you want to move here?

#12 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:24 AM

Hi sugarpaws;

(you probably have a cat? Watch out for Chiquito then, lol).

Never really thought too much about single US American women in Mexico. Would be interested in your input to rosnjust.

Seems to me Latin and South America are more family and Matriarcal orientated; young women just don't move out and establish their own career and home. But a good word for the Patriach as well, their Fathers won't let them?

richsinc

#13 Alicia

Alicia
  • Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:36 AM

My husband and I are moving to TJ mid-December, so very soon I shall be finding out how it is. We found an apartment in a location we like, and have been visiting there off and on during the past month to get things organized and established. We are both very excited about the move to TJ and are really looking forward to moving into our apartment at last!
--Alicia

#14 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:05 AM

Welcome Alicia;

Would also like to know which part of TJ too and your impressions. I know some parts well and others not at all and would like to learn.

Hope I can be of help; you will find many people on here that will help.

richsinc

#15 sugarpaws

sugarpaws

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 228 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:01 AM

Yes ...Now dont get nervous or stereotype me por favor...but.. I own 9 cats!!! ...I also own a little Ranchero where I raise exotic pheasants, show quality poultry and waterfowl and Japanese yokohamas and other long tails and long crowers. If you really want to get into it ...I also have 3 mutts, some pigeons and finches. Dont even start with the bird flu... mine have been here for 5 years and I also get them all... and I do mean all... vaccinated and treated in the States . I only deal with American born. Now this was surely not my original plan for moving to mexico and becoming a farm girl! If you knew me ...or met me you would think way differently! I came here to tell you the truth, for a break on the rent and a way to spend my savings a little more frugally. I am still relatively young having spent "only" 39 years on this planet. Yikes ! I do have a roomie his name is Lalo, he is always on the prowl but not for me cause we are not each others types! He helps me with some muscle and Mexican ways as he was born here and is fluent in spanish and english. I have sooooo much more to my story .. and me.. and how I arrived at findinding out that I could fill a niche that needed filling... but that is for another day...believe me !!!!

#16 Pieancho

Pieancho
  • Advanced Member
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:Travel and living on the border and Nayarit

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:52 AM

As of Nov. 29 my wife and I are living in Playas de Tijuana. We sold our Chula Vista house and now live in Fracc. La Perla A. So far so good. Maybe you will see us on the beach walking our Wiemerhiners.
Living with one foot one each on side of the border.

#17 rosnjust

rosnjust
  • Advanced Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

I wanted to move there but for me it isn't logical. I would be alone and I don't know how safe I would be. I am moving to the Mid-West instead. I will miss California and Baja area.... :cry:

#18 richsinc

richsinc

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 757 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:47 AM

WOW! What a sea change Rosnjust!

I find TJ very safe and remember how I froze my ass, knee-caps. toes. fingers, etc. off in Chicago.

I live in a family area and people watch out for each other; yes even US Americans.

If you need more info, let me know.

richsinc

#19 Seattle-28

Seattle-28
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:meeting new people

Posted 13 February 2006 - 12:33 AM

(Chiquito)
woof.

I'm new, and loving it here! You're all so funny. It's been a while since I had a good laugh, lol.

#20 Liz P

Liz P
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Finding a House in TJ

Posted 31 March 2006 - 07:31 PM

Hola Folks,

Despite the fact that you have decided not to ride your bike, how long would it have taken to drive the distance? I am wanting to move to TJ but don't really want a commute time over 45 min to an hour to downtown SD. Is this doable from Playas during peak times? Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users