#1 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:43 AM

Hello guys

Longtime first-time here
I just wanted to thank you guys for the information you provided. I've been reading this forum for about a year and moved into a home in the Otay area. I had a 2 bedroom apartment in La Mesa that was costing over a thousand a month and now I am paying $475.00 for a 3 bedroom home. Crossing is not a problem as I park my car on the other side which costs nothing and I bought a cheap car to driver around TJ. I figure I am saving over 600 a month so I bought a 2k car to drive around TJ. I found my place by having a Libre drive me around the area and I lucked out as the landlord I have is from the US and I had no problem with the lease.
It's a 6 month to start off with and all that he required was 2 paystubs and a housing reference. My deposit was $400.00 and the area is nice. I looked at 5 different homes and it seems the closer to the border the more expensive they seem to be. The first place I looked at was a 2 bedroom apartment for 425 and it was very small and the neighbors had 2 dogs that roamed free around the property. I passed on that deal and it seemed like the longer i waited the better the deals got.
I live within 10 mins of the border and notice a few other Americans that live around here as well. I asked one guy if he knew about this site and he asked for the URL. It would be nice to know some of my neighbors in this area. I am in the Nueva Otay section of Tijuana
Again thanks for the info
Mark

#2 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 02:50 AM

Hello Scribbles,

We are neighbors. I live in Nueva Tijuana; what locals call Otay Modulos.

Before I got my Sentri pass I used to keep my car on the US side and walk across. At line at the pedestrian crossing would form a little after 6 am.

#3 zunigan

zunigan

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 422 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:36 PM

Not sure where that is but we live off Diaz Ordaz off Los Huertas. About 15 to border if not much traffic. I ususally leave at 5 am and it takes 30 minutes to cross. I have a 3 bedroom, 1 bath big back yard 300 a month my land lady is my co worker here in the us so its great. She fixes everything and and has let us do what ever we need to to make it right for us. Where is the place you live? Close to what streets?

#4 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:06 AM

Is there a section to mention places by Colonias?

There is a chicken place on the main street in Otay near the border that has a special 2 chickens for 55 pesos. They have lines at night that can reach 20-30 people deep. They have two operations right next to each other and I see the other pollo places are starting to show lower prices as well. Anyone know the place I am talking about?

#5 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 02:09 AM

(zunigan)
Where is the place you live? Close to what streets?

I live near the big church close to the weekend swap-meets. There is a new development a few miles south of the Calimax and I'm looking into renting down there. It's around $550 and up but less crowded and a little more upscale.

#6 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:52 AM

There is a chicken place on the main street in Otay near the border that has a special 2 chickens for 55 pesos.

Saweeeeeet, how much are the roosters? :roll: Hah, JK. Welcome back Scribbles.

"YO heart BC"

#7 BajaGringo

BajaGringo

Who Knew?

• Advanced Member
  • 955 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Fishing, Music, Internet

Posted 23 February 2008 - 06:13 AM

What makes this place great is members sharing with others. Although I have lived here for several years and travel all over the place I continue to discover new places to go and many of them based on recommendations from members here on TijuanaBlog...

Life is Too Short! Adventure Out, Take Risks, Explore, Dream & Discover...

#8 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:07 AM

Thanks Miggie and Baja
I've logged in a few times but forgot my password and had to request a new one. I'll add more places to eat and observations when time permits.

#9 Tj Jack

Tj Jack

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 198 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:31 AM

Welcome to Tijuana Blog

Hope you enjoy posting here as much as I do.

It is always great when someone has been lurking so long decides to contribute.
Tj Jack

#10 dreambrother

dreambrother
  • Advanced Member
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Music, Culture, Eastern Religion, Tea, Lakers, Old School R&B, Exercise, etc.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:15 PM

(Scribbles)
Is there a section to mention places by Colonias?

There is a chicken place on the main street in Otay near the border that has a special 2 chickens for 55 pesos. They have lines at night that can reach 20-30 people deep. They have two operations right next to each other and I see the other pollo places are starting to show lower prices as well. Anyone know the place I am talking about?

i know EXACTLY where that chicken place is-right across from the farmacia and next to the gas station. i must've gotten about 15 tortillas along w/my chicken, i love that salsa and rice btw.

crossing that street is one of life's greates adventures and if you haven't experienced the thrill ride of hanging on for dear life just walking across the street. or when it rains and needing a rowboat. or watching about 15 truckloads of federalis zoom by you in the rain, traffic being held by an overweight-by-80-lbs cop who's pissed off and smoking.

ps. i used to go to that church all the time as well-i would pray before the figures to the side as well as attend services.

#11 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm curious to where that chicken place is :?

I live in the barrio and want to try it tongue.gif

#12 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:43 AM

They are remodeling the place and it looks like it is now all RED. It is called Javiers Pollos or Pollos Javier. They have 2 different locations in that same block. The other is a smaller storefront near the bus stop.

#13 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

They are remodeling the place and it looks like it is now all RED

Saw it this morning, next to the new PEMEX station. Thanks biggrin.gif

#14 Scribbles

Scribbles

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:03 AM

Any idea how to post photos? Right now the Pollo shop is being remodeled and yes it is in front of the Pemex station.

#15 Chiquito

Chiquito

Pendejo

• Advanced Member
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Drinking vodka while cleaning loaded guns.

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:18 AM

[img]http://link_to_where_image_is_stored[/img]

[/img]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users