Family Moving to TJ on June 1'st completly lost

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 smac

smac
  • Advanced Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

I've been lurking on this forum for a while and finally decided to do it and move to TJ on June 1st since my wife was denied residency here in the States

I have lots of questions running through my head like how far in advance do I have to call to install utilities like gas. water and electricity
nearby schools (public) The area I am looking into are San Antonio and Playas.

help would be really appreciated

most of my house hunting is through Craiglist and Baja 123...
also , where can I apply to bring in small furniture and other household goods as Mexican national ( dual citizenship)

glad I found this community

all the best

#2 Cyanide41

Cyanide41

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors, anything with a lot of horsepower, anything with 2 wheels.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

good luck on the move! The utilities depend a lot on where you are moving to. Are you planing on renting. The electricity is payed every two months, so make sure you don't get stuck with the end of someone's billing cycle. If the lights are off, they usually can have them back on in 24 hours.
Tijuaneses Americans in TJ drive like crap, Get your Mexican Insurance here.

#3 smac

smac
  • Advanced Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (Cyanide41 @ Apr 20 2013, 07:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good luck on the move! The utilities depend a lot on where you are moving to. Are you planing on renting. The electricity is payed every two months, so make sure you don't get stuck with the end of someone's billing cycle. If the lights are off, they usually can have them back on in 24 hours.

We are renting

#4 Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 245 posts
  • Interests:American single female living in Baja for the past 2 years; 1 year in Tijuana and 1 year in Rosarito with my dogs. Not the typical American as I've traveled all over the world to 20+ countries and consider myself a citizen of the world.

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

You'll discover very quickly after 1 or 2 CFET bills that electricity in Mexico is very expensive compared to the U.S. so you will learn to conserve electricity or have a huge bill.

#5 Keyno

Keyno

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:56 PM

QUOTE (Mary Ellen @ Apr 20 2013, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You'll discover very quickly after 1 or 2 CFET bills that electricity in Mexico is very expensive compared to the U.S. so you will learn to conserve electricity or have a huge bill.

Is your statement true? I believe you are wrong. There are 3 levels of service. When you go above a level, you get penalized. Set your level by visiting the office.

#6 Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Miggiesmallz- TEXMEX

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:51 AM

I never got into the details of the tier system, but to me it always seemed more expensive than what I would pay in the US.

"YO heart BC"

#7 tijuanahopeful

tijuanahopeful

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:American Tribal Style bellydance (ATS), cooking, gardening, biking, contradancing, and aggravating my cat.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

I have a friend that claims her electric bill in Rosarito is only $6.00 per month, which I find hard to believe.

#8 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have a friend that claims her electric bill in Rosarito is only $6.00 per month, which I find hard to believe.

It depends on many things. In My campo, near Puerto Nuevo, my bill was approximatelly $2400 pesos every two months. (80 plus USD a month) but our house was all electric. We just bought a place a block over, and our bill is $78 pesos every two months...(approx.6 bucks USD a month) So, yes, depending on the utilities used, it can be. We are all propane now other than fridge and of course, lights and we use the low wattage ones.

#9 kristashawn

kristashawn
  • Advanced Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

It depends on many things. In My campo, near Puerto Nuevo, my bill was approximatelly $2400 pesos every two months. (80 plus USD a month) but our house was all electric. We just bought a place a block over, and our bill is $78 pesos every two months...(approx.6 bucks USD a month) So, yes, depending on the utilities used, it can be. We are all propane now other than fridge and of course, lights and we use the low wattage ones.

Thanks for clearing this up! I was starting to wonder about all the conflicting reports I have read and heard re cost  of electricity in Mexico.

#10 jtlessons

jtlessons
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

Welcome to the knee jerk negative responses that for some reason prevail in all relocation forums.

#11 jm0501

jm0501
  • Advanced Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

My Son was paying 7000 to 8000 every two months, they got a new Refrigerator and CFE put in a digital meter and it dropped to 700 to 1200 they say they are happy.
I think it was kicking it up to the higher level that Keyno was talking about
They also had a ground wire that was just grounding into the wall there isn't anyone to enforce or care about the code or three wire grounding.. so I guess it's normally to have bills all over the map as far as price.

He also loves it Playas people are great when he talks to people they say hi back.. he said he didn't have the same response in the land of the Free USA.

Your wife will not be looked down on for not having papers, you will spot all kinds of great people that speak great English ask if they are deported most are.

the downside used to be the police, not much of a problem since they had to ride in 2's or 4's officers per truck

JM

#12 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I just got mine and it is the highest so far.. All of $190 pesos for two months!! So, about seven bucks U.S. a month. You might find it hard to believe, but that is what it is. 5 months ago a block away, my bill was about  $2400 for two months, but that house was ALL electric. Makes a BIG difference to have mostly gas.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users