10 replies to this topic

#1 galvezis

galvezis

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:Blogs, FTA, Sports, My Kids

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:36 AM

I hate to admit it but I consider myself a computer geek BUT I do not know anything about LINUX! Where/how can I learn about this OS?

#2 galvezis

galvezis

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

bump wink.gif

#3 George Costanza

George Costanza

Valued Contributor

• Root Admin
  • 1,429 posts
  • Interests:Discos

Posted 29 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

The best way is to jump right in and get a cheaper computer use linux and start using it as a hobby and join some linux forums and get to know the system.
Tijuana is much more than Revolution ave
I am now George Constanza - Lord of the idiots :)

#4 galvezis

galvezis

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 359 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the info fellas! I appreciate it! One question for you Linux guys---is it a GUI or more like MS DOS?

#5 jm0501

jm0501
  • Advanced Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (galvezis @ Jun 29 2008, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the info fellas! I appreciate it! One question for you Linux guys---is it a GUI or more like MS DOS?

Both GUI or command line but my self I found learning easier with a GUI
I like http://www.ubuntu.com/ because it is totaly open scorce

Download and make a live cd very cool. (you don't have to install it just run it from your computer cd rom)
the live cd has open office on it makes docs you can use with MS office if you like making rich people richer.
I use a live cd in my laptop when I am at starbucks so I don't share my personal stuff.[Of course no one would steal you credit card numbers in Mexico]

By the way hanging around UBUNTU people is good karma
they don't copywrite stuff patent or lie to you about what you need much less take money from you.
seem to me to be real smart and will share it for free.
You don't need to pay them for Info.

Good Luck and pass it on
JM

#6 Baja_Scott

Baja_Scott
  • Advanced Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:25 AM

Just one word........... UBUNTU......... Google it.

Baja_Scott aka Pancho aka Pablo aka Scott

#7 LinuxRay

LinuxRay
  • Advanced Member
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:46 AM

Well me personally I like pclinuxos, I've used freespire linux also suselinux puppylinux on an old old old pc, which brought new life to it. Also I've recently installed TinyMe Linux on an old laptop which I liked alot as well. TinyMe is a variant of PclinuxOS for older systems. Never tried Ubuntu. I think once you unlearn the windose way you will realise the way computing should really be. Oh and Linux is not hard to use just a different way of doing things. Yes there is GUI's many of them, and best part of it, unlike windose Linux is Free as in Free Beer and also as in Free speech or so the Linux crowd puts it that way.

#8 Chiquito

Chiquito

Pendejo

• Advanced Member
  • 1,221 posts
  • Interests:Drinking vodka while cleaning loaded guns.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

A few years back I set up a Linux system on the side to learn it. Shortly thereafter my Windows system died so I went all Linux. I chose Debian as I was interested in servers and Debian stable release is more ummm stable than Ubuntu which is based on Debian testing release. Ubunu has a reputation of breaking many programs when updated.

All distributions of Linux are based on the open source Linux kernel. The kernel is the basics of the operating system that all the drivers and programs build on. The two main branches of distributions are mainly about the packaging and distribution of the the software. These stem from the Debian and Red Hat distributions. Software distributed as source is applicable to both IF your distribution includes the drivers and libraries the software needs.

There are several GUI's available for Linux (with Windows and Mac you usually only get one without some tricks). The most common are Gnome and KDE. These and the others are in general much more customizable than non-Linux folk are used to. There are GUI programs for most everything you want to do available. The issue is if you get a program that hasn't been extensively tested with your distribution and your hardware or if you start customizing (which you WILL start doing) something may break and you can't load the GUI system. At times like that you need to know at least some basic stuff from the command line or you're screwed. Since your browser won't load you'll have to have another computer to go searching the web for the answers to fix what ails ya. There are many sites with free answers if you keep looking.

The is zero reason to use Windows and Macintosh beyond having absolutely necessary proprietary software* that won't run on Linux or being technologically challenged and afraid to learn it.

* Most all Windows software that won't run in the Wine windows emulator will run in a bootleg virtual Windows install on VBox or VMware, Macintosh is possible but much more difficult to emulate since Apple dictates your hardware as well. But Apple fans are unlikely to go Linux anyway as they'll be lost without someone telling them what they can and should use.

Back in a couple years to check replies. Adios.

#9 jonerich

jonerich
  • Advanced Member
  • 112 posts
  • Location:Boynton Beach fl, Chicago il, San Clemente ca, Zona Rio mx, Bangkok TH
  • Interests:Surfing,Music,Movies,Computers,Travel,Food.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:57 AM

Another vote for Ubuntu!!!!! Ive been using it for 5-6 years now it is also based on Debian. it does everything once you became accustomed you will never use windows again. burn a disc and free yourself from virus's and paid software.they have a version thats strictly set up for audio video and graphix as well called Ubuntu Studio oh and it even runs windows software through Wine i use this to play steam games ie counter strike.Here are few links:

Oh my god Ubuntu

ubuntu forums

ubuntu geek

Ubuntu Studio
Happiness in Intelligent People is the Rarest thing I know. (Ernest Hemingway)

#10 otayBill

otayBill

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

QUOTE (Chiquito @ Sep 19 2011, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Back in a couple years to check replies. Adios.

Welcome back Chiquito. smile.gif

I guess it will be a couple more years before you read this.

#11 libertythor

libertythor

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (George Costanza @ Jun 29 2008, 07:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The best way is to jump right in and get a cheaper computer use linux and start using it as a hobby and join some linux forums and get to know the system.

+1
[size=12]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users