• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kwillie

Kwillie
  • Advanced Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

Hi Everyone!!!

Moving to TJ very soon, and i need some help with some questions i have. I will be working in san diego, so i will be crossin every day. I am currently in north dakota and my car insurrance is almost 400 per month. I quoted with geico and if i have a california adress it would be a little over 100. I read a few weeks ago an add in craigs list where someone in san diego would let you use their adress and collect your mail, like if i were living there. Does anybody know of something like this?

Also i plan to apply for a sentri, but a friend of mine told me that its better if i apply as living in san diego not in tj. The problem is that i dont know anybody in san diego so i dont have an adress.

Another question, If i need to get a Po box in san diego area, how do i get one if i dont have a us adress?

Thank you all for anything you can inform.

Warm Regards
rolleyes.gif

#2 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (Kwillie @ Feb 23 2013, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Everyone!!!

Moving to TJ very soon, and i need some help with some questions i have. I will be working in san diego, so i will be crossin every day. I am currently in north dakota and my car insurrance is almost 400 per month. I quoted with geico and if i have a california adress it would be a little over 100. I read a few weeks ago an add in craigs list where someone in san diego would let you use their adress and collect your mail, like if i were living there. Does anybody know of something like this?

Also i plan to apply for a sentri, but a friend of mine told me that its better if i apply as living in san diego not in tj. The problem is that i dont know anybody in san diego so i dont have an adress.

Another question, If i need to get a Po box in san diego area, how do i get one if i dont have a us adress?

Thank you all for anything you can inform.

Warm Regards
rolleyes.gif

Those are all easy fixes. There are many mail drops in Chula Vista and other places close to the border and many services in Mexico, wherein you pay a yearly or monthly fee, and your mail is sent to one of the mail services across the border and is picked up for you several times a week. Most of us living in Baja have this service. You can use that address for insurance purposes or find a friend who's you can use in SD. Even $100 a months seems high to me but I guess it depends on your car and what you want. We get a good coverage Mx. insurance for about $150 a year and my U.S. ins. is only about $200 a yrs. However, since we don't drive all that much in the states, we have the basics.

Applying for a Sentri is definitely something you should do but it is a long process; about two months and you need to have a sparkling clean record. Personally, I think it makes no difference from where you apply as the same background checks are done no matter what. You can do all the paperwork online, use your U.S. mail drop address for them to send your card after your interview. It is all very easy and will likely be easier, once you get here, do a lot of googling, and sit down in a coffee house and chat with others. Good luck.

#3 Kwillie

Kwillie
  • Advanced Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:11 PM

Thank you very much Zoe J.
That was very informative smile.gif

#4 HK70

HK70

Valued Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

If you don't have your sentri before you start commuting from TJ to SD everyday good luck. You will be waiting in 2 hour + lines unless you work an odd shift.

Why are you moving to TJ?

#5 Kwillie

Kwillie
  • Advanced Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (HK70 @ Feb 26 2013, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't have your sentri before you start commuting from TJ to SD everyday good luck.  You will be waiting in 2 hour + lines unless you work an odd shift.

Why are you moving to TJ?

I've been to the area twice and both times the line was too big. to the end of the street and i made it in 40 minutes, but i do know that i can be a pain sometimes. Why am i moving to tj? to live cheap, and to get away from the cold. Sick of the midwest. smile.gif

#6 Kwillie

Kwillie
  • Advanced Member
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thank you both for your replies. Zoe J. Thank you!!! i was about booking a po box at one of those places in chula vista. But i didnt! A client at work today told me he is from SD and i could use his adress and his family can collect my mail and i can just pick it up every week.

HK70, i thought i replied, but not sure i did so here i go again. Been living in the midwest for a long time and im sick of the cold, and well, tj is cheaper than san diego. I guess its worth the wait for a few months while i apply for a sentri.

Arriving this friday finally.

#7 Zoe J.

Zoe J.
  • Advanced Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Kwillie @ Feb 26 2013, 01:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you both for your replies. Zoe J. Thank you!!! i was about booking a po box at one of those places in chula vista. But i didnt! A client at work today told me he is from SD and i could use his adress and his family can collect my mail and i can just pick it up every week.

HK70, i thought i replied, but not sure i did so here i go again. Been living in the midwest for a long time and im sick of the cold, and well, tj is cheaper than san diego. I guess its worth the wait for a few months while i apply for a sentri.

Arriving this friday finally.

Also, something that normally only takes a few weeks is the Ready Pass. You can get it while you apply and wait for your Sentri. You can do that on line as well, and it cuts the wait down by easily a third to half from the standard lane. You have to mail in your passport, but that is no biggie. Just make a copy of it. Also, you DON'T need a passport to cross back and forth although they make you think you do. Driver's license, birth cert. all work. Good luck. TJ is a with with lots to offer and isn't our parents' TJ anymore. Great cultural events, things to do that are so much fun outside, world class restaurants and chefs that are giving TJ a whole new look to the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users